Monday, November 11, 2013

Thinking of My Dad on Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day!  I always think of my dad on Veterans Day and the time he spent in the service.  He served in the South Pacific as a medic, and although he didn't tell a lot of stories (as many vets are reticent to do) the stories he did tell always let me know how tough it was on him to serve.  He lost good friends for no apparent reason, missed being killed at random, and faced the enemy across a rice patty at one point where he could tell that the enemy was no more than a scared young man just like himself.  He saw beautiful tropical paradises juxtaposed with terrible destruction in the same day.  It always hit me that the things we ask our young men (and women) to do and to see are things that they will live with for the rest of their lives, and it seems like there is no real way to thank them enough for enduring the things they endure and risking their lives to defend our way of life.  My dad only mentioned these things when we asked about the small outrigger canoe that a native had made for him in New Guinea, or after seeing great films he wanted us to see like "Patton."  I love and respect him for doing what he did, and that goes for all the men and women who serve.  So Happy Veterans Day, and hopefully one day we will have lasting peace.

I just have one public gig this week - Magpies this Friday 7-10.  We had a great evening last time at Magpies, and I expect this one to be a blast as well.  Maybe I'll bring the electric and do a few jazz standards this outing.  Hope to see you there!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, November 15, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment