Monday, February 17, 2014

Beatles!

I don't know if you've been following all of the shows celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America and their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, but they have brought back a lot of memories and a lot of joy for me.  I've been a fan of the Beatles' music since the first time I heard it when I was a kid and my sisters played the music of the Beatles in our house for the first time.  It's hard to say what first drew me to them.  I knew that their sound was different somehow than other music I was hearing.  I didn't know if it was the words or the harmonies or the fact that they were British, but something definitely grabbed me and made me want to hear more.  As I grew up and learned to play guitar and sing myself, the Beatles music was always more of a challenge than other popular music I tried to learn.  What were those chords they were playing?  How did those harmonies combine to sound so unique?  How could they make something so simple sound so sophisticated?  I now know that they were using harmonies and chords that were closer to jazz and great standards than the folk and blues-inspired rock of the day.  They often sang harmonies below the melody which was uncommon as well.  The main thing was that they always surprised the listener with changes in melody and song structure that were really satisfying and original.  Being original and different with excellence is something for anyone to aspire to - whether a songwriter or an engineer or a cook.  Bravo, Beatles!

So this week I'll be playing the music of the Beatles.  I played a lot of Beatles last week as well.  Where will this happen?

Friday I'll be at Magpies from 7-10, and I'll be featuring the Beatles for the middle hour, 8-9.  This promises to be a really fun show!  Come on out if you can.

That's it for this week.  Be good to each other, and remember "All You Need Is Love!"

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, February 21, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment