Monday, March 2, 2015

Being Finished

I have a weird personal quirk I want to share with you that maybe you also have or have insight into. I'll give my philosophy about it as well. What is it? Well, I have this compelling desire to be finished with things. I mean, when I start a project or pretty much anything with a sequence of tasks I am always looking forward to when it's completed, almost as if once it is completed I will never have to return to it again. That makes sense when it's a big thing that I only do a few times in life like buying a house or taking a big trip, but I'm talking about things that I repeat every so often like washing clothes or trimming the weeds. Maybe it's sentimentality over doing things the "last time" - like the last time you used a certain pen or tool before you broke or lost it. Or maybe it has to do with wanting a sense of accomplishment and importance in completing a task. Or maybe it's fear of what comes next. Or maybe it's laziness that just wants to sit after completing a task. (Wow! There's a lot more to this than I expected when I broached this topic.) Maybe it's a lack of concentration or desire for work that requires keeping things organized and flowing - you know, just plain old fear of hard work. What do I really think? I think that I long for the peace that comes after completing a task, and I forget that the journey is sometimes as fulfilling as the destination. I also forget that the joys and little details in the experience can be even greater than the outcome. I wrote last week how the moment is so important. Funny how I come back around to this yet again. Ah, this life is sure interesting to figure out along the way! So how about you? Do you find a struggle within yourself with this same desire to be finished?

Highlights from the last couple weeks

Magpies was very fulfilling last time with some new faces and a bunch of '70's songs. It was definitely a little different than what I usually do at Magpies. And yet every time out is a little different as I go with the flow of the night and the folks who make it what it is. Music (and life) sure is fun!

What's up this week?

Friday I'm back at Magpies 7-10, and I'm thinking of doing something a little different again - maybe some cowboy songs or some comedy songs that I haven't done in a long time. Does that sound good? What would you like if you're coming? I'm always up for the good time we create together!

Better run. I just know it's going to snow again, and there's always so much to do.

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, March 6, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment