Monday, February 19, 2018

Gumption

I’ve been thinking about my life’s path and where I’ve gone. As I grow older I weigh things more in my mind than I used to. I don’t always “go for it” like I did when I was younger. Sometimes I think it’s just self doubt - not thinking I’m good enough, but I’ve been around long enough to know my strengths and have confidence in my abilities. Sometimes I think it’s making wise choices where I can see the missteps of my youth - hmmm, am I that wise? Sometimes I think it’s a little depression or weariness - settling my mom’s estate took a lot out of my sharpness and drive. Sometimes I think it’s just age - I have more aches and pains and don’t bounce back or stay awake like I used to be able to. But in the end it probably amounts to gumption - I just don’t have the same drive and hunger I used to have. A quiet night at home with Jen, the pets and a good movie appeals to me more than a drive and the logistics of a gig. Don’t get me wrong, I love making music and being wrapped up in the magic of creating as much as life itself. In fact, I think music makes love and life in many ways, but I’m seeing that there are choices to be made toward other aspects of life sometimes. But money and making a living is also tied up in making music, and so I can’t always not choose to make music. But music burns in me like a living fire, and so I’m always ready to jump in the musical river when I come to it. (I just need to live on the river, I guess.) Interesting thread of thought, huh? Let’s see where it leads me.

What have I been up to?

The Arts Center reception a couple Fridays ago was great fun with lots of friends and some fantastic art. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

 My first-Sunday online concert was lots of fun too. I did more cowboy songs than usual because I had recently done a couple cowboy shows and had those songs on my mind.

Now you may have wondered why I didn’t play Neon Alley Bistro or PDubs this month. Well, the Bistro had their building rented out from under them and so are moving to a new location in Central Plaza. They hope to be open in March. PDubs wanted to take a month or so off for some changes. I don’t mind the nights off, especially during the Olympics, just so long as we can pay the bills - which we can.

What am I up to this week?

Saturday 11-2 I’m playing for the annual Valentines spaghetti fundraising dinner at First Christian Church in Cañon City. It’s open to the public, and I’d love to see you. It’s for a good cause, and it’s another good thing to do for the community. Adults get in for $6.00, and children 12 and under get in for $3.00. All proceeds go to local non-profit.

That’s it for this week. Be good to each other and loving toward everyone.

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  singing and playing a Valentine’s spaghetti dinner fundraiser
When:  Saturday, Feb 24, 11 am - 2 pm
Where:  First Christian Church, 320 N 16th St, Cañon City 719-275-9644

No comments:

Post a Comment