Monday, May 28, 2018

Value of Hard Work

I just came in from trimming more trees. I have done this at the house and at the cabins for many days this season. It’s hard and tiring work, but there is a satisfaction from doing physical labor that is hard to describe. Part of it is a pride in accomplishment. This is short-lived since yard and tree work is a constant necessity. Part of it is thankfulness for having the physical stamina and able body to do the work. As I age this becomes more and more relevant.  Part of it is a feeling of stewardship of the natural world that recognizes the need for guiding and shaping and cohabiting with other living things. I cherish this. This life is interesting in that it requires constant maintaining of so many things from physical well-being and mental sharpness to relationships and even houses and cars. I’ve said before that part of me longs for things to be done. That will come someday, but for now I know that much of the joy in this life comes from the doing and the journey. That circles back to the value of hard work. It reminds me that I know I’m alive when I’m fully engaging in this physical existence - feeling every muscle and breath. Take a deep breath and feel your existence, my friends. It’s grand to be alive!

What have I been up to?

I’ve had my regular slate of nursing and Alzheimer’s facilities as well as a couple private parties since I last wrote. I even spent some time in the mountains preparing for my nephew's wedding.

What am I up to this week?

Saturday I have a private birthday party for an elderly friend. I love doing these.

Sunday 7-8ish I’m doing my first-Sunday online living room concert at concertwindow.com/tommunch. I haven’t thought about what I’m going to play. I have a long list of favorites that I haven’t gotten to yet that I will draw from if I don’t pick a theme. This time of year my mind always turns toward the mountains as I contemplate spending time in them again, so mountain songs are always fair game. We'll just see where it goes.  I like the spontaneity. Please tune in if you can.

I guess that’s it for now. Next week starts the busy season for me, so you’ll be hearing from me more often.

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  online at https://concertwindow.com/tommunch
When:  Sunday, June 3, 7-8ish pm MDT

No comments:

Post a Comment