Monday, June 18, 2018

Traveling and Meeting Folks

I had gigs out of state last weekend, and staying in new places and meeting new folks is always a wonderful experience. For all the uneasiness I often feel about details and interactions, I always end up having a great time and going with the flow. And I guess that’s my lesson for myself once again this morning - when I relax and let things happen naturally it all works out fine. I even see this when I play - especially in the studio. When I tense up and concentrate too hard on a certain passage I freeze up or stumble over words and notes. When I ease up and even stop paying attention for a moment it all flows out in a musical and organic way. It’s so weird how that happens. And this lesson extends into my life in so many ways - from connecting with people to finding my way. There is just an innate flow to life and the universe when I relax and enjoy it. Do you find this too?

What have I been up to?

Monday and Tuesday the Gorge was great fun.  I got to play on the visitor deck on the north side Tuesday and really got to interact more with the folks.

Tuesday night’s party in Navajo Ranch was really special.  Happy Birthday again, Marlene!

Thursday at Yellow Pine was another fun night with old and new friends.  I love these folks so much.

Friday and Saturday night at Red River Brewing Company were crazy fun.  The energy is like a white water ride in there, and it’s so cool to ride it and help it along. I even had folks come all the way from Pueblo to hear me.

Saturday at the ski area in Red River was also a blast.  We had to be indoors with rain, but the atmosphere was fine, and Geneva and her staff made everyone welcome with great food.  Big thanks to my friend Tim Collver for setting up this and the RRBC gigs for me.  He sat in at RRBC, and was doing some cool hands-on ranger talks with Barbara as I played.

What am I up to this week?

Monday and Tuesday 12:30-4:30 I’m back at the Royal Gorge Bridge.  This is such a great place to play with sweeping vistas and nice people all around.  Come on up if you’re in the area!

Thursday I’m back at the Yellow Pine 6:30-8:30  for the barbecue.  This is such a nice environment that I’d love to have you see and be a part of.  They have to order food by Tuesday, so if you want to come you have to make a reservation by noon or so Tuesday.  Call 719-742-3528.

Saturday I’m playing one of the coolest places yet at the Cimarron River Dance.  This is a neat property below the Eagle Nest Dam by Eagle Nest, New Mexico,
near where I spent many of my summers growing up.  It’s close to where the fire occurred on Philmont Scout Ranch just a few weeks ago.  I have wanted to see this area ever since I had some family friends get married there many years ago.  Since it was below the dam, they called it their “dam” wedding in the “dam” meadow.  I don’t know if it’s sold out yet, but I’m playing in the afternoon 3-6 with my good friend Don Richmond sitting in (he set this up for me,) and then his band The Rifters play 7-10.  It’s kind of a partial BYO thing and there are details here - http://thesolitaryangler.com/annual-cimarron-river-dance/.  I can’t wait and would love to have you there!

I guess that’s it for this week.  There’s so much more to tell you, but that’s always how the summer is.  Drink it in and enjoy it my friends, and hey, go with the flow!

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who: Tom Munch
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge at the Royal Gorge Bridge on the stage just off the bridge
When: Monday and Tuesday, June 18 and 19, 12:30 pm-4:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, June 21, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch with Don Richmond sittin’ in
What:  playing and singing at the Cimarron River Dance
Where:  Cimarron Canyon, NM
When:  Saturday, June 23, 3-6 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment