Monday, July 2, 2018

Dealing with Angst

Once again we have great angst and worry in our lives.  This time it’s again caused by fires - an all-too-common theme in the summertime West.  There’s just an abundance of dry fuel combined with hot and windy days, and one spark is all it takes.  I’ve seen all kinds of emotions in the mountain towns affected - fear, anger, empathy, love, confusion, peacefulness, vigilance.  I can relate to all of these.  The power of the unknown and the uncertainty of the future is something we live with everyday, but it isn’t quite as present as when a giant monster cloud of smoke and ash is bearing down on us.  I know everything will be okay even if it doesn’t resemble what I know now.  People will rebuild and the mountains will recover in their own beautiful ways.  That is what always drives me.  I believe that there is always more love to be shared and a better future to be found - it’s just how we choose to look at it.  We can be fearful and doubting or we can be loving and supportive of ourselves and each other.  All things will pass.  All of these forces are part of us, and that is again part of the magic and mystery of the universe and our time here.

What have I been up to?

Monday and Tuesday last week at the Royal Gorge Bridge were great!  Monday was one of the most beautiful days I can remember there - perfect weather and beautiful views.  Tuesday I got to interact with so many people on the visitor deck, and that was even cooler!

Thursday was an impromptu fundraiser for the firefighters at the Yellow Pine as the fire was just getting going and no one knew that Cuchara and the Yellow Pine would be evacuated the very next day.  We couldn’t get meat from the barbecue people in Alamosa with La Veta Pass being closed temporarily and then permanently, so Lee and the staff arranged for a free sandwiches and appetizers meal with all moneys contributed going to the La Veta Fire Protection folks.  Unfortunately we didn’t get a lot of folks to come out - once again there was too much angst in the air with the approaching fire.

Saturday was a wonderful party for my niece Laura and her fiancee Josh that was really fun.  Really looking forward to your wedding, you two!

Sunday was a fundraiser for VFW Post 4051 arranged my RV friends Galen and Sue Steele.  I immensely enjoyed talking to these folks and sharing an afternoon with them.  We didn’t raise quite as much money as we had hoped, but it was all good.

Sunday was also my First-Sunday Online Living Room Concert.  I definitely was more contemplative with the fire on my mind, and I picked a number of songs that fit the mood.  Many said it was just what they needed.

What am I up to this week?

Monday and Tuesday 12:30-4:30 I’m back at the Royal Gorge Bridge.  I’m on the south side by the bridge both days this week.  If you have family in town or are traveling through please stop by and enjoy some music.

Monday night I’m playing a private tribute to local women veterans and active service members that should be rewarding.  I love doing these kinds of events.

Thursday I won’t be at the Yellow Pine for the barbecue.  Please send good thoughts and energy to all those fighting the fires and displaced and affected by this ongoing situation.  The Yellow Pine is the headquarters for the firefighting operations in Cuchara with their big pastures for structural and firefighting operations and even a helipad and the pond for water supply.

Saturday I also won’t be at Art in the Park in La Veta.  They’ve had to cancel all their Independence Day weekend celebrations this year with the fire.   Again send them good energy.

Saturday I will be doing a special concert at Philmont Scout Ranch for the staff and the folks who are down to dedicate a new building for the staff association.  I love playing for the folks at Philmont, and with no campers there until the middle of July this will be a special chance to do a show with lots of energy and camaraderie amongst the staff.  I’m really looking forward to it!

That’s it for this week.  Remember that angst is just a reminder that we are here a short time and should enjoy it to the fullest.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who: Tom Munch
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge Bridge on the stage just east of the bridge
When: Monday and Tuesday, July 2 and 3, 12:30 pm-4:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment