Monday, February 11, 2019

Spring Cleaning in February

My wife Jen and I spent time today going through my stuff in the closet and my dresser we call my “cowboy cabinet.” (We call it that because it has what look like cattle brands up and down its surface.)  I like to say that I don’t need much to be happy and that anything I don’t really use I get rid of, but I’m also sentimental and have trouble giving up things. That said, I’m also very “out of sight and out of mind” with most possessions once they’re gone. In fact as I age I can completely forget about things that were once important to me. But as I go through things I have all kinds of memories that surface - shirts that I remember wearing to weddings and special events, shoes and boots that I wore to a dance or favorite hike, t-shirts from places we visited or which were given to me. Then there are the things I haven’t used in years that I hold onto just in case I need them sometime. It’s crazy I tell you how we can over-rationalize the simplest things. And I know in the long run it doesn’t mean anything, and I yearn for the days when I could fit everything I owned in the back of a car. But today I made some good decisions, and it made me weigh things that trigger deep thoughts in my brain. It’s always interesting to me to watch how we work things out in this life.

What have I been up to?

I sent out an update mid-week last week that Cuchara Chapel rescheduled my performance to February 24th, so I just had my schedule of nursing and retirement facilities last week.

What am I up to this week?

Saturday night 7-10 I’m back at Walter’s Brewery Taproom for a fun evening of my music, good beer, and good friends. We had a great time last month, and I’m really looking forward to this time. I was a little too loud last time trying to ride the energy in the room, and this time I think I’ll turn down a little so it’s a little more intimate. Come on out if you can!

What’s on the horizon?

I scheduled my dates at the Royal Gorge Bridge for the summer. I’ll have my friend Dennis Mills from Cuchara sitting in on bass for most of the summer for a little more sound and variety, and we may add a third player a few times too. I really enjoy playing with Dennis, and I hope you can make it out sometime this summer to hear us on the south side of the bridge up the hill. The dates I’ve scheduled are:

June 3, 10, 17, 24, 25, 28
July 1, 3, 8, 15, 16, 19, 22, 29
Aug 5, 12, 13, 16, 19, 26, 30
Sept 2

All days are 12:30-4:30.

That’s it for this week. Be good, and I hope to see you soon.

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  Walter’s Brewery Taproom, 126 Oneida Street, Pueblo. 719-542-0766
When:  Saturday, February 16, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment