Monday, February 2, 2015

Healthy Obsession?

I'm having an internal debate today about obsession.  If you know me at all you will know that I have a little bit of an obsessive streak in me.  I think there are good and bad points about my obsession.  On the good side I have no doubt that my obsessive behavior is what has allowed me to polish my music to a higher level, and it also allows me to be more meticulous in my business dealings - keeping everything ship-shape and in order.  If you've seen me perform you know I also hang onto a free-form approach that lets me have a give-and-take with each song that puts me out on a limb where I sometimes fall, but I also often find some new musical idea that can be delightful!  So what's bad about obsession?  I think I hardly need to say in general.  We all have seen OCD people that are so dysfunctional that they are a danger to themselves.  For me my obsession is bad when I am compelled to rearrange the dishwasher (even though you know it cleans better that way) or so bound to finishing a project that I go hungry or am late to a gig.  Sometimes this is just quirky behavior, but sometimes it is a real detriment, and when I am conscious of it I can control it and not let it lead me into a train-wreck.  Overall I see obsession as an interesting fact of my life that I work with every day.  I see it as a source of humor mostly, even though sometmes it frustrates me.  How about you?  Do you have an obsessive streak?

Highlights from the past couple of weeks.

I have to say what a great time I had at Magpies last time out.  Everyone was so generous with spirit and emotion, and it felt like all of us contributing to a big bonfire.  That's one of the most genuine thrills of doing music for me.  I've also been having a great time dreaming up ideas for my instrumental album that I will record later this spring into summer.  I really want to concentrate on beautiful melodies that transport the listener to new places.

What's up this week?

I'm back at Magpies Friday 7-10 for what I hope will be another wonderful experience.  There are times I pinch myself with the great friends I have who support my musical habit.  I hope you all get as much from me as I receive from you!  Come out if you can.

Better get on with my Monday.  Hope to see you soon!

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, February 6, 7-10 pm


No comments:

Post a Comment