Monday, March 27, 2017

Comfort and Happiness

I was playing music Saturday night and was struck at how easy it was to get thrown off my game.  What happened was that I was experimenting with different guitars and techniques at my gig (big surprise, huh?), and because I couldn’t hear as well as I’d like to and because something was not set up right on the guitar I was playing, I found myself suddenly kind of lost and very moody and unhappy.  I’ve heard of other guitar players saying this when they just couldn’t get their “sound” and were suddenly at sea.  This made me think of how much we seek comfort in our everyday situations to maintain a sense of happiness and rightness with the world.  I don’t know if it’s a need for control or whether it’s something else inside our psyche that needs for everything to be just “so”, but it’s a weird feeling and something that can really throw you off for while.  My “go to” solution is to jump to the big picture and say that the situation just doesn’t matter in light of how big and wonderful the universe is, and that’s probably what I did that night.  But beyond that I find that having the flexibility to go with the situation and to find the hidden gems within the uncomfortability can really be rewarding.  I see the most creative and contented people do this, and it fascinates me and makes me seek to explore these situations myself.  I once heard that stress is the most powerful force for change in our world, and handling it with finesse and joy would be a hoot!

What have I been up to?

Last Saturday I had two wonderful gigs.

Playing for Tosha’s 40th birthday party at one of the nursing facilities Saturday evening was just very special.  You may have seen my post on Facebook about this.  Tosha was not expected to live for more than a few weeks when she was born because of multiple medical conditions, and to reach her 40th birthday as a happy and loving person even though she deals with quadriplegia is amazing.  Happy Birthday,  Tosha!

Saturday night I had a great crowd of folks I haven’t seen in ages at PDub’s.  Brad Schoolland, the proprietor, sat in on several tunes, I switched off on several guitars, and it was overall a really fun night (although as I wrote above I was having some technical difficulties that threw me off a bit.). Thanks to all who came out!

What’s up this week?

Sunday I’m doing another online concert from our living room from my first-Sunday series of concerts we started a couple months ago.  I haven’t decided on a theme yet, but it will be an engaging and fun night of friends and music as always.  Maybe I'll lean towards spring tunes?  Or maybe it would be fun to turn towards cowboy and historic music.  Hmmm...we'll see.  Tune in to concertwindow.com/tommunch at 7:00 mountain time if you'd like to listen and join in on the conversation.

That's it for this week. I really appreciate all the kind condolences that so many of you sent about our sweet little cat, Nisi. We miss her terribly, but we are so glad she was part of our lives - if even for a short time. Looking at the summer I'm talking to the Royal Gorge Bridge about possibly doing some weekly solo shows on their big stage at Elk Park.  I'll keep you posted.  Maybe it'll make me comfortable and happy! 😉

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  online at https://www.concertwindow.com/tommunch
When:  Sunday, April 2, 7-8ish pm MST

No comments:

Post a Comment