I’m doing a show on Wednesday of blues tunes, and I thought I’d talk about the blues and what they mean to me. I didn’t really understand the blues until I was in my late 20s. I didn’t grow up listening to them, and although blues did influence the rock and roll I listened to I never really “got” them. I did like R&B and other more syncopated music, so it wasn’t really that I was too Caucasian to relate like some folks are. It was more that I just wasn’t exposed to them. I have really found that you have to be steeped in a style of music before you really understand it and feel it. I found this with country, bluegrass, and jazz as well. You don’t really internalize what you’re listening to and even that you’re playing until you’ve somehow unconsciously digested it. It’s just how we process anything that’s new to us. I wish this was something we were taught when we’re young. You don’t really “get” something until you’ve spent a lot of time with it. Sometimes you have a knack for something and can get it quicker, but it still takes exposure and awareness. So this is how it was for me with the blues. Little by little I “got” them. A box set of Robert Johnson’s music helped this along. Playing the blues in a band helped a lot too. You have to ease into them and kind of turn off your brain and just feel the blues. I’ve sat in with a touring blues band, and I found that a little limiting, but I still enjoyed the moment. I still don’t profess to be able to go to that place in my soul where the blues is born, but I’m close. How about you?
——
What have I been up to?
I had 10 senior facilities last week, and I did play a lot of cowboy songs as I thought I might since I was doing cowboy songs for my Wednesday online show. I saw a lot of smiles as folks remembered these old songs.
My Wednesday online show was cowboy tunes once again, and this time I did relatively newer songs, and they were so well received. These old tunes are just wonderful.
Thursday at the Yellow Pine Barbecue was a busy one again with lots of good people. The barbecue was so tasty, and folks danced to a bunch of songs.
Friday and Saturday I led some songs in song circles that were so much fun at the Philmont Scout Ranch Rayado reunion. We had a hammered dulcimer and a flute player sitting in, and the sound was wonderful!
My Sunday online show was favorites and requests, and there were some really good songs requested and played. These Sundays are so special.
——
What am I up to this week?
I have only 6 senior facilities this week since it’s the fifth week of the month, and I have repeating gigs that don’t often fall on the last week of the month. I’ll bet I end up playing some blues since the blues will be in my mind with my Wednesday show. It’ll be fun!
My Wednesday online show 7-8:45 mountain time will be blues as I wrote above. It should be a really enjoyable show with some upbeat as well as gritty tunes. Come on out if you want a little bluesy energy.
Thursday night 6:30-8 I’m back at the Yellow Pine Barbecue for some friendly faces and good food and music in the old barn. This is the next-to-last barbecue of the season, and I’m going to be sad when it ends. We have such a good time, and Cuchara is such a beautiful place to spend an evening. I’d love to have you there too. Call 719-742-3528 to make a reservation now.
Friday night 7-8:30 I’ll be at the Pueblo Riverwalk at the north end by the big fountain and the western statues in what they call the Gateway Plaza. I always enjoy playing there, and it’s really the only place I play in Pueblo for the general public anymore. Come on out!
Saturday 1:15 to 1:45 I’ll be playing at El Pueblo Museum for their Colorado Day celebration. It’ll be indoors, and I’ll be singing fun Colorado songs. Come out if you can!
My Sunday online show 7-8:45 mountain time will be favorites and requests as always, and it’s a most rewarding evening of tunes and friendship. Honestly we have such a good time. Come on out and join in!
——
That’s it for this week. This summer continues to roll along like a wild horse ride!
Best,
Tom
——
Details this week:
Who: Tom Munch
What: playing and singing an online concert of blues songs
Where: facebook.com/tom.munch and tommunch.com/online-concerts
When: Wednesday, July 29, 7-8:45 pm mountain time
Who: Tom Munch
What: playing & singing at the barbeque
Where: Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara. 719-742-3528
When: Thursday, July 30, 6:30-8 pm
Who: Tom Munch
What: playing and singing on the Riverwalk
Where: Pueblo Riverwalk Gateway Stage in the Gateway Plaza, Pueblo, CO
When: Friday, July 31, 7-8:30 pm
Who: Tom Munch
What: playing songs for Colorado Day
Where: El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N Union, Pueblo, CO
When: Saturday, August 1, 1:15-1:45 pm
Who: Tom Munch
What: playing and singing an online concert of favorites and requests
Where: facebook.com/tom.munch and tommunch.com/online-concerts
When: Sunday, August 2, 7-8:45 pm mountain time
No comments:
Post a Comment