Monday, June 24, 2013

Gosh - More Fires!


More fires!  Gosh, can't we get a week without more of these in Colorado and the West?  And so many are near places I'm playing - first burning the building at the Royal Gorge, then burning the area south of Philmont where I'm playing in July, then burning near Prescott, AZ where I'm playing this fall, and then burning the east Spanish Peak near La Veta and Cuchara.  I'm beginning to think either someone is targeting me or else I'm bad luck!  Seriously though, it's not about me.  My heart goes out to all those who have lost homes and had real scares dealing with these fires.  I know it has become part of living in the West, but we'd sure like a break for a while.  The only good thing is watching everyone pull together and help each other out.  It brings my heart joy to see how good we can be to each other when the political arena wants us to be at each other's throats.

But I don't want to get into that.  Let me tell you where I'll be playing this week because it's a big week for me, and I want to spread the joy of music to as many folks as I can.  (That's what I'm here for I believe.)

Tuesday (tomorrow night as I write this) I'll be doing a concert in Veterans Park in Cañon City from 7-9.  This is an annual summer concert series, and I've been honored to play it for several years now.  It's a great chance to stretch my legs for all the Cañon folks I get to play for in so many venues and also for some visitors.  This will be particularly special for me since it is happening in the wake of the Royal Gorge Park burning two weeks ago.  I plan to share some memories from my years performing up there, and I also will be singing the song I wrote for the bridge workers when I performed up there - "Let's Build a Bridge."  If you come be sure to bring a lawn chair and a light jacket.  Sometimes the bugs are "bugging" as well, so you may want some insect repellent.

Thursday I'm at the Yellow Pine Barbecue in Cuchara 6:30-8:30.  Last week was the first week of the season, and what a blast we had even though some nerves were frayed with the fire burning on East Spanish Pike.  It was a very special night nonetheless, and I intend to make this Thursday just as special.  If you want to come, then you need to call ASAP to make a reservation since they base their food order on the number of reservations and also because they sell out most weeks.  The number is 719-742-3528.  The old barn awaits!

Friday I'm at the La Veta Inn 6-9.  I can't believe how many wonderful nights we've had in the patio under the stars (and last week the Super Moon!)  It's been just a heckuvalotta fun with some great folks and memorable tunes.  This week promises more of the same.  Come on out!

Saturday is the first of three Song of Pueblo oratorios for the summer at 7:00 at El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union in Pueblo.  What can I tell you if you've never seen the Song of Pueblo?  It's like watching a Ken Burns documentary live and in person.  Four of us sing, play,  and narrate while breath-taking still images and video dance across the screens to give you a true sense of the history of southern Colorado and Pueblo.  I'm the musical director, and I'm so proud of this production!  This year we have added new narration and lighting changes as well as all-new video and stills.  It's the best Song of Pueblo yet!  We'll have our new (as of last year) albums with the current group for sale, and of course we'll be happy to sign them to make them a special memento.  If you want to come, then you need to buy tickets at El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union, Pueblo ASAP.  We do accept walk-ins the night of the show, but it is frequently sold out, so I'd recommend getting your tickets beforehand.  I hope to see you there!

Sunday I'm playing brunch at Shadow Hills in Cañon City 10-1.  I've told you several times about the brunch at Shadow Hills.  It has great views, great food, and my music for the bargain price of $10.95.  How can you go wrong?

So after reading above at the week I'm about to dive into, I'm not sure I can keep up with myself, but here goes!  Hope to see you out and about!

Always sincerely,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing in concert
Where:  Veterans Park in Cañon City (west end of town on Hwy 50)
When:  Tuesday, June 25, 7:00-9:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, June 27, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, June 28, 6-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch with Johnny Watson, David Enke, & Linda Amman
What:  playing, singing, & telling the history of Pueblo at the Song of Pueblo oratorio
Where:  El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union, Pueblo.  719-583-0453
When:  Saturday, June 29, 7:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What: playing and singing for brunch
Where:  Shadow Hills Golf Course, 1232 County Rd 143, Canon City.  719-275-0603
When:  Sunday, June 30, 10 am-1 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment