Monday, August 26, 2013

The Dilemma of Being Known


My wife, Jen, and I were having a conversation over breakfast that is still lingering in my head. I'm at a fairly low level of fame with my career, and yet even at my level I have come into contact with literally thousands of people over the years, and the expectations and interactions still hint at what is a major dilemma for people who are well-known.  Part of being on stage and having frequent publicity is a certain pedestal and celebrity that is difficult to deal with from both sides - for the object of the attention and the givers of the attention.  I've always tried to downplay it from my perspective, often to the dismay of those who give freely.  I've had to learn to say "Thank you!" even if I felt I didn't deserve the praise.  Being on stage brings a culturally-influenced relationship that is really strange.  The performer has his/her reasons for performing and being an artist, and the audience member his/her reasons for being in the audience and appreciating the performance and artist.  For the performer/artist it's unavoidable that a certain familiarity and comfort with being praised sets in after a while, and it's also hard to deny that it can be hard to have a genuine and gracious response or even aware that you've neglected to give one.  In people with much more fame than myself that I've interacted with I've been aware that the habit has developed in the person to be totally unaware of the praise or the sincere and worthy person offering it.  This is a psychological state that (in my opinion) is very unhealthy and dangerous.  It leads to narcism and dishonest behavior - something I have always sought to avoid in every way I can.  For the audience member there is an appreciation of the artist that can border on idolism (in the worst case) that is also unhealthy (in my opinion.)  As I look at my career and why I've held back from pursuing greater fame, I've often thought of whether I wanted to put myself into this pressure-cooker of emotions.  I've sometimes used that as an excuse to not push for more, and I've sometimes looked at it as something I maybe wanted - adulation is something we all desire, after all.  I don't have any answers for this, but I know it has influenced many performers over the years, and I know that I'll never have it worked out fully for myself.  What do you think?

So what am I up to this week and into this Labor Day weekend?

Friday I'm back the La Veta Inn 6-9 - hopefully on the patio.  Last Friday was unbelievably beautiful, with warm breezes from the tropical storm in Baja California that made for a gorgeous evening.  Hopefully this week will be as beautiful.  Please come out if you can for a start to the long holiday weekend!

Saturday we're performing the last regular show of the Song of Pueblo for the summer at El Pueblo Historical Museum 7-8:30.  The July show was one of the best we've ever had - the band and the audience were cookin', and I have high hopes that this one will be just as wonderful!  Call the museum to reserve your tickets today at 719 583-0453.  Doors open at 6:30.

Sunday I'm at Shadow Hills for brunch 10-1.  This should be a great week for brunch as well with the long weekend and relaxing atmosphere of Shadow Hills.

So that's it for this week.  Be well and be good to each other!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, August 30, 6-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch with Johnny Watson, David Enke, & Linda Amman
What:  playing, singing, & telling the history of Pueblo at the Song of Pueblo oratorio
Where:  El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union, Pueblo.  719-583-0453
When:  Saturday, August 31, 7:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What: playing and singing for brunch
Where:  Shadow Hills Golf Course, 1232 County Rd 143, Canon City.  719-275-0603
When:  Sunday, September 1, 10 am-1 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment