Monday, August 12, 2013

Would I Ever Give It Up?


I've been thinking today about whether I could ever stop playing music.  I have always thought that I would play until I keeled over, but several things have come up this week that have made me think again.  First, I've been having a lot of pain in my hands in the last few weeks, and then I almost lost my voice on Sunday in Buena Vista (I think I just had some allergies land in my throat.)  But then a friend of mine posted on FaceBook today that he was having to cancel some of his upcoming gigs because of a chronic illness that plagues him.  I reached out to him with encouragement and sympathy.  We always think that it can't happen to us, but as we know that's not true.  It doesn't mean I'm going to stop living my life day by day, but it does make me wonder what my life would be without the constant flow of music going through me.  I've been looking at different ways to express what it's like to play music on a regular basis.  Lately I've thought it was like an eternal river that I can jump into and ride whenever I want and need to.  That's sometimes how it feels - a river that keeps on flowing and is never-changing that always will be there for me.  Sometimes I feel like it is like flying - it takes great effort to take off, but after the initial push to get off the ground is accomplished it lets me glide and soar.  Sometimes I feel that it is sacred and a way to tap into the powerful energy of the universe (heady and maybe goofy, I know.)  So I'm not sure what it would be like to stop playing.  I do know (from reading Oliver Sacks) that the brain is actually changed by playing music regularly, so I know it would have a profound effect on me - mentally, spiritually, and physically.  I guess I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it, but for now I'll keep enjoying the great privilege it brings to create and share something wonderful!

So what's up this week?

Thursday 6:30-8:30 is the final barbecue at the Yellow Pine for this year in the old barn.  We expect it to be a big evening with many folks who are coming to eat and enjoy.  If you'd like to be there call Jo Anne at 719-742-3528 by Wednesday.  Last week we had a visit from a bear and a good and entertaining rainstorm to boot!

Friday I'm back at the La Veta Inn 6-9 - hopefully on the patio.  I know it will be a memorable evening of good friends and music!

Sunday I'm at Shadow Hills for brunch 10-1.  Shadow Hills is always a great time with good food and views.

So please come out if you can.

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, August 15, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, August 16, 6-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What: playing and singing for brunch
Where:  Shadow Hills Golf Course, 1232 County Rd 143, Canon City.  719-275-0603
When:  Sunday, August 18, 10 am-1 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment