Monday, August 25, 2014

Comfort Food

I’m standing here writing you while I eat a “comfort food” lunch of pinto beans and green chiles.  I have lots of comfort foods and lots of times and reasons I eat them.  My main comfort foods are popcorn, chips and salsa, black licorice, chocolate, and milk.  I eat one or more of them sometimes after a gig, or when I’m having a bad day, or when I want to feel that everything is right with the world, or even when I just want a little special treat.  Most of these are things I have eaten my whole life, so they may even remind me of childhood or special moments throughout my life when I ate them and was around friends and family.  Why do I feel I need these?  They just make me feel “on center” - which is a good place to approach anything that’s next on my plate.  I don’t have them every day, in fact I only have some of them once a month or less.  But I think they are an important touchstone to remind me that life is good, and that being happy and fulfilled is worthwhile.  So how about you?  Do you have certain comfort foods that you turn to?

Okay, I’m done with lunch.  What were the highlights last week?

Friday night I got rained out of the patio at the La Veta Inn.  I brought an umbrella and set up on the patio - only to have it start raining just as I was starting to play.  I waited a few minutes and hoped it would stop, but alas it didn’t, and I had to pack up my wet gear and set up inside.  But I had a great group of folks come out to hear me, and I played some oddball sets of mixed music that hit just about every style you can imagine.  It was fun!

Saturday night I had the private party I told you about last week in the Springs.  The weather was beautiful, and the recently-finished back yard patio and deck was amazing for the fine people I got to sing for AND with under the stars.  I can honestly say that I’ve never played for a more appreciative and engaging group.  It was a blast!

Sunday Jen and I drove up to Westcliffe to hear my good friends the Rifters (Don Richmond, Rod Taylor, and Jim Bradley) play at the Feedstore Park for an afternoon concert that was picture-perfect.  They never cease to amaze me with their fine spirit, good humor, and easy-going style.  I wish you all could have been there.  I even snuck up on stage to play a couple with them.  Always great to see those guys!

Great week!

So what’s up for this week?

Friday I’m back at the La Veta Inn to see if the weather gods will allow one more special evening on the patio.  It looks like we’ll continue these Friday evenings for at least a couple more weeks.  Come on down if you can.

Saturday I have another private event that I can’t tell you too much about because it’s a surprise for someone special, but if you happen to be anywhere near the Nature Center in Pueblo you may hear my voice drift up out of the trees and the rolling waters for a couple songs.  That’s all I can say.  I’m excited!

That’s all for this week.  I hope to see you out and about!

Tom

Details:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, August 29, 6-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment