Monday, August 18, 2014

Write It Down

As I grow older I’m amazed at how my mind and habits change over time.  I’ve always delighted in pushing myself to new boundaries both mentally and physically.  I used to intentionally switch methods of doing things in my routine just for the mental stimulation.  This extended from the habitual way I used my computer or devices to the way I brushed my teeth and did other routine daily activities.  We make mental maps and lists of the way we do things, and these are important to our thought processes and our organization.  I think I may have done this too many times though in my life, because I notice now that it’s pretty easy for me to confuse myself with a change.  I even find that I have a harder time remembering things.  I know this is common as we age, and so I’ve taken to writing everything down that is important.  It’s easier with today’s tools - smartphones for example where you can write a quick memo or even record one.  But even if you just carry a small pad of paper and a pen you can capture all the fleeting important thoughts that cross your mind - things you need to get done and important names and places.  I sometimes think that I use these tools too much, and that depending on these tools has reduced my ability to remember.  That may be so, but it also frees my mind to be creative and spontaneous when I don’t try to hold onto these fleeting thoughts and todos.  So how about you?  Do you depend on writing things down or are you able to hold it all in your brain?

So what were the highlights last week?

The final Yellow Pine barbecue of the season Thursday was a really nice evening. We went long with a little sadness over closing the season, but it was warm and inviting. Friday night at the La Veta Inn was also wonderful - starting on the patio with a full house and ending up inside after a light rain chased us in. The energy of the rain spurred me to play some rock 'n' roll and let my hair down a little bit. It was fun! Saturday night's wedding was an unexpected treat. The couple were an accomplished and delightful duo from Brooklyn, New York. I'll be surprised if they don't go far.

And what's up this week?

Friday I'm back at the La Veta Inn 6-9 or as long as I last. I had thought we might not go through August, but last week was such a good crowd that we're going to give it a shot. Come on out if you're in the area!

Saturday night I have a private party in the Springs that should be a lot of fun! I'm sorry I can't invite you all.

So the season is winding down and I only have those two gigs to tell you about this week. Take care of yourselves and enjoy life.

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, August 22, 6-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment