Monday, July 4, 2016

Longing for the Wild Places

It’s the time of year when my heart turns to the mountains and I long for the wild places.  I spent so many years in my youth hiking and exploring in the peaks, and I’m always so busy with gigs in the summer that I don’t get time for more than brief dalliances with them.  There’s just a grandeur and majesty that really speak to me and it reminds me of how wonderful the universe is.  My mind goes to all those John Muir and Thoreau quotes.  It’s a great recharger of peace and meaning in life.  I’m playing at Philmont in New Mexico this Saturday, and I’ll get a little shot that I’ll thoroughly enjoy.  I’m going to journey to the Wild Lands!

What have I been up to?

Last week was another whirlwind although I thought it would be a little easier.
Monday and Wednesday I did shows for the rafting Scouts which were very worthwhile.
Thursday was a large group of folks at the Yellow Pine.
Saturday was an even bigger group at the park in La Veta that was a blast, and then I also played a retirement party for dear friends with the La Veta band that was great fun.
Sunday was Jelly Jam in La Veta that really kicked with lots of guest singers and players.

What am I up to this week?

Tuesday 12:30-4:30 I’m playing at the Royal Gorge Bridge with the Atomic Fireballs on the south side of the bridge. I haven’t played with the Atomic Fireballs in quite a while, and I always enjoy seeing the guys and playing - especially at the Gorge.

Thursday is the Yellow Pine barbecue in Cuchara, and I’m looking forward to so many friends and new acquaintances.  Plus the food is SO good.  Call 719-742-3528 by Tuesday evening for reservations.

Friday I’m playing for rafting Scouts and then a private party in Pueblo that should be a lot of fun.

Saturday I’m playing for Philmont Scout Ranch again during the staff reunion in New Mexico.  This outdoor concert is one of the highlights of my year each year, and this one will be especially poignant since last year’s concert was the last time I saw my mom before her stroke.

Sunday I’m playing for a group of rafting Scouts again.  This is very rewarding work.

That’s it for this week.  Stay safe and laugh much!  Oh, and Happy Independence Day!

Tom

Details this week:

Who: Tom Munch and the Atomic Fireballs
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge at the Royal Gorge Bridge on the stage just off the bridge
When: Tuesday, July 5, 12:30 am-4:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 7, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing at concert at Philmont Scout Ranch
Where:  Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, NM
When:  Saturday, July 9, 8:00-10:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment