Monday, July 11, 2016

“When” and “If” to Retire

My mind has been on retirement this past week. First, I had a conversation with a good friend from Bose about his retirement.  Then I had my friend JoAnn from the Yellow Pine announce her retirement. I have always said that I would work until I dropped or couldn't play anymore - figuring music was something I could do well into my twilight years. I still feel that way and have no plans to retire, but I still found myself exploring the thought as my friends told me about what they were doing and looking forward to. There is always that idea that you have things you'd like to do that you will eventually be too old and decrepit to do, and if you retire before that time maybe you can do them more fully and with gusto. The worry that you'll use up your money or have a debilitating illness that will leave you with no money is also a thought, so maybe you should enjoy your health and savings while you have them both? It also occurs to me that we should do the things we want to do during our healthy years or maybe make a career out of those. I've kind of done that with my music, but there are always other things I'd like to do in addition. Anyway, it's was an interesting place to dwell in for a time - the thoughts about what I'd do if I retired and how I could live my life differently in the present to feel more fulfilled. How about you?

What happened last week?

Last week was a whirlwind - especially Friday when I had five, count 'em, five gigs.

Tuesday was a windy but fun day playing with the Atomic Fireballs at the Royal Gorge Bridge. Everything just flowed as the heat zapped our energy by the end of the day.

Thursday was a fine evening at the Yellow Pine where JoAnn announced her retirement - Congrats, JoAnn!  She will leave at the end of the season.

Friday I had three nursing and Alzheimer gigs followed by playing for rafting scouts and then a private backyard party.  Whew! What a crazy day of running that was.

Saturday was my annual concert at Philmont Scout Ranch which was wonderful!

Sunday was another show for rafting scouts. It was a stellar group.

What am I up to this week?

Thursday is another evening at the Yellow Pine Barbecue 6:30-8:30. Each week seems more fun than the last with good friends galore. If you'd like to be a part of it, then make your reservation by Tuesday evening - 719-742-3528.

Friday I'm back at the Royal Gorge Bridge with the Atomic Fireballs 12:30-4:30. I'm sure it will be a great afternoon!

Then also Friday I play for another group of rafting scouts at the Royal Gorge after I'm done with the band. (I'm also playing for the scouts Monday and Wednesday.)

Saturday I'm playing 9-1 with the Atomic Fireballs for the Westcliffe Stampede Rodeo dance after the rodeo wraps up. This is always the wildest night of the year, and if you love to dance western or watch drunk cowboys try to dance, then this is the place for you!

That's it for now. I hope your summer is going well - even with all the hot weather, angst, and unrest in the air. Love and laughter is always the answer.

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 14, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who: Tom Munch and the Atomic Fireballs
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge at the Royal Gorge Bridge on the stage just off the bridge
When: Friday, July 15, 12:30 am-4:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch & the Atomic Fireballs
What:  playing for the Westcliffe Stampede Rodeo dance
Where:  Westcliffe Rodeo Grounds (north of town)
When:  Saturday, July 16, 9 pm - 1 am

No comments:

Post a Comment