Monday, August 28, 2017

Why Are We Here?

A good friend of mine writes a blog that asked the question today, “Why are we here?” I’ve written along these lines before, but I thought I’d give my thoughts on this. It’s close to my heart. When I was younger and very involved in my local church I would have answered this question with the answer, “To glorify God.” As I’ve grown older over the years I have modified my beliefs to answer that question, “To experience life on this earth,” but these ideas are not that different. I believe that we are all an intimate part of the universe in body and soul - made from the same ingredients and forces that move the cosmos. We come here from that energy of the universe to experience life on earth - not unlike so many sci-fi stories that have expressed similar ideas, and not so different from many church teachings. I know this sounds a bit “out there,” but it’s where my head is at this point in my life. Some of this comes from something that I recently realized.  When I was very young I almost drowned when I walked off an underwater drop-off in a lake. I can remember watching myself crawling back up the drop-off as if I was out of my body and a few feet away. I remembered this incident when I was going through the stuff at my mom's house after she passed. Ever since then I’ve always had a sense of timelessness and peace that I’ve written about before. It makes me know that everything will be okay. It also showed me that I am not my body although that is where I reside while on this earth. (I have hesitated to share these ideas because I know it will put off some of you who read my blog, but I feel it is important to state our beliefs to others. The recent eclipse and people's reaction to it have emboldened me too.) There is some sort of intimate tie-in between all of us, the earth, and all the cosmos that we haven’t figured out although we get glimpses of it through science with quantum physics and consciousness studies. Someday we’ll understand all of it. Meanwhile it helps me answer that question, “Why are we here?” I believe we are here to experience all the joys, pains, and wonders of this life. Enjoy it, folks!

What have I been up to?

Sunday's fundraiser for the La Veta Fire Protection District was a blast! The rec center was decorated beautifully for the mountain luau, and everyone contributed to making it a really fun event. Dennis and Trudy and I were in fine form if a little loose with our timing, but we had such fun!

What’s up this week?

Saturday all day (10:30-2:30 and 3-7 pm) I’m playing at the Royal Gorge Bridge with the Atomic Fireballs on the new stage where the gazebo was on the south side of the bridge. I always look forward to playing with the guys, and this should be a great Labor Day weekend.

Sunday I’m doing my first-Sunday online concert at concertwindow.com/tommunch again. I haven’t made my setlist yet, but I’m thinking toward some oldies this time. If you haven’t tuned in to one of my online concerts, I basically set up a camera and a nice mic in my living room and then play for an hour on the couch just as if we were enjoying an evening of music at home. I love doing these concerts because it gives me the chance to sing for friends from all over the country and sometimes the world. There is a chat feature if you login so you can make comments and converse with others who are tuning in. I always offer for folks to text, email, or Facebook message me with comments too. Please tune in if you can.

Monday I’m back at the Royal Gorge Bridge with the guys 12:30-4:30 for Labor Day. Come on out and spend your Labor Day at the Gorge!

Details this week:

Who: Tom Munch and the Atomic Fireballs
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge at the Royal Gorge Bridge on the stage just off the bridge
When: Saturday, Sept 2, 10:30 am-2:30 pm and 3-7 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  online at https://www.concertwindow.com/
When:  Sunday, Sept 3, 7-8ish pm MDT

Who: Tom Munch and the Atomic Fireballs
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge at the Royal Gorge Bridge on the stage just off the bridge
When: Monday, Sept 4, 12:30 am-4:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment