Monday, April 8, 2013

Fine tuning my sound and gear (and life!)


We're bracing for another blast of winter tonight and tomorrow with possible blizzard conditions.  It's hard to remember that we get snow in Colorado all the way into May most years.

But what I really want to write you about is fine tuning.  I was thinking about how much of my mind this occupies in my life and career.  I'm a 'detail' person, and everything I do tends to involve the tiniest adjustments and sensitive incremental changes.  This is important with the guitar and my voice.  The slightest change in touch on the strings with my fretting hand can make a string ring in a different way.  The use of my fingernails related to the amount of fingertip I use on my right hand makes a note be crisp or muted.  This is repeated in the timing and syncopation of the music as well.  Likewise there is an infinite amount of adjustment to a note and word when singing.  The stress in my chest and diaphragm and mouth when forming a word and a pitch is all thrown in there too.  I think about all this as I play and sing - mostly unconsciously, but sometimes very much at the forefront of my thought.  And it spills over into the way I drive and exercise and use my phone and even type on the computer keyboard.  I get a kick out of it although I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.  Being 'in the moment' is all related to this.  It's quite a trip to think about, but I think it's what makes some truly excel at their passion and others merely get by.  It's something to contemplate anyway.  Live life to the fullest!

But enough yacking on for today.  I have news to share.  I have agreed to almost weekly appearances at the La Veta Inn starting in late May.  You can find these on my website on the calendar page - http://tommunch.com/Tom_Munch/Calendar.html.  I'll have dates for the Yellow Pine up soon as well, so check them out!

And where am I this week?

Tuesday night I'll be playing an online concert from our living room at 7:00 mountain time on UStream - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tom-munch-live.  Please come by if you're online then. You can listen and even sign into the chat and make requests and comments if you'd like.  It's a lot of fun and a great way for me to get to sing and play for friends and family who are far away.  The sound quality is usually very good even though the video can be sketchy at times.  Hopefully I'll get a fast connection this time for best quality.

I do have several nursing homes and Alzheimer facilities this week and every week.  I don't write much about these, but they are an important part of the way I serve my community, and occasionally I see some of you when you're visiting relatives and friends at these places.  They are always up on my calendar too, and you're welcome to check out a show if you happen to be in the area where I'm performing.  Some of these are locked facilities that you need to ring into and sign the visitor's book.  They are very gratifying gigs for me.

Saturday I have two private parties I'm playing that I can't say much about.  I just wanted you to know about them.

Sunday I'll be at Shadow Hills for brunch 10-1.  Last week was a really good crowd with lots of wonderful folks and fun music.

So that's it for this week.  Thank you for supporting me and my musical art!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  online on UStream http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tom-munch-live
When:  Tuesday, April 9, 7-8 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What: playing and singing for brunch
Where:  Shadow Hills Golf Course, 1232 County Rd 143, Canon City.  719-275-0603
When:  Sunday, April 14, 10 am-1 pm

Directions to Shadow Hills:
(There's construction on the regular route, so you need to turn a couple blocks ahead of Elm on Cyanide and follow the Detour signs to get to Elm.) Go south on 9th Street from the main light in Cañon City to the bend in the road and turn right on Elm by the cemetery.  Then it's just one block on Elm before it veers/turns left and becomes Oak Creek Grade.  Twist through a few turns and come over a hill and you'll see the restaurant and club house on your left across the golf course. Then turn left into the drive at the Shadow Hills and The View sign and up to the main stucco two-story building.  The restaurant is up the stairs to your right or take the elevator straight ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment