Monday, April 1, 2013

What I wanna be when I grow up


I hope you are enjoying beautiful spring weather wherever you may be. It's in the 60's here today and sunny. We could use a little rain, but hopefully that will come. I'm sitting in the DMV renewing my license. Hopefully I won't be here more than an hour. (Turns out it took an hour and fifteen minutes.) It's definitely a bizarre mix of folks here - quite a slice of life in many ways.

I had an interesting conversation this morning when I told my accountant that I wasn't sure what I 'wanted to be when I grew up' in response to his, "How are you?" My one enduring desire in my career is to play music that matters for people who want to hear it. This has taken me into many different venues to play in front of a wide variety of folks. Of course I have to find a way to make a living at this too, so I have to charge for my service, sell some merchandise (albums for me), or ask for tips. I also either have to play for the same people repeatedly or else travel to where my audience is. I have opted to have a home life and stability and senility, and so I don't travel much which means I play for the same people repeatedly except for the summer when I play for people traveling to and through the area at tourist destinations and festivals. I also see a value in recording my music for posterity as well as to express and promote myself, and so I've made a dozen albums both solo and with others over the past 30+ years. I always think that I'd like to travel more, but the stack of bills and correspondence I return home to is daunting whenever I have, so I resist this. Plus, it's hard to be away from friends and family and all the routine of normal like.  Still I love to travel and try to work in some gigs when I can travel.   If I ever 'grew up' I suppose I always thought that I'd travel more and be some sort of folk-rock star.  As I age I think less and less about that though, although someday…

So enough wandering for now.  What am I up to in the near future?

I'm going to do a living room concert on UStream next week on Tuesday, the 9th of April at 7:00 pm mountain time.  It'll be at the same address where it always is - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tom-munch-live.  I haven't decided what I'll play yet, but if you log in to the chat that night you can make a request.  These concerts are always a lot of fun, and it's the only chance I get to play for my friends who aren't nearby enough to come out to a venue where I'm playing.  I hope you can make it.  Just point your browser to the address above and join in.  You can also watch and listen on some phones and tablets - especially if you download the UStream app.

And I'm also booking what looks to be every week in the summer at the La Veta Inn.  We're not firm on dates yet, but I'll be posting them as soon as we are.

So what does this week hold?

Friday I'm at Magpies 7-10.  This is the last month of Magpies until next fall, so if you've been meaning to come out, you only have this Friday and the 19th to catch one until next October.  We always have a great time, and I always enjoy catching up with folks and putting on an interesting and engaging show.

Saturday some good friends are playing a Beatles tribute and fundraiser at 7:00 pm in La Veta at the Parkside Gallery on Ryus Ave. that I may make the journey for.  The show is a benefit to raise funds for the Citizens for Huerfano County.  The players are Ken Saydak and Willson and McKee, some good friends and marvelous musicians.  Maybe I'll see you there?

Sunday I'm at Shadow Hills for brunch 10-1.  Easter Sunday was a really nice time with lots of familiar and new faces.  It's so much fun to see all the families dressed up in their finery for the holiday.  This week will be a little more relaxed.  I hope you can make it if you'd like some good food, nice atmosphere, and my music.

I'd better sign off for now.  Thanks for your friendship and your ears!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, April 5, 7-10 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What: playing and singing for brunch
Where:  Shadow Hills Golf Course, 1232 County Rd 143, Canon City.  719-275-0603
When:  Sunday, April 7, 10 am-1 pm

Directions to Shadow Hills:
(There's construction on the regular route, so you need to turn a couple blocks ahead of Elm on Cyanide and follow the Detour signs to get to Elm.) Go south on 9th Street from the main light in CaƱon City to the bend in the road and turn right on Elm by the cemetery.  Then it's just one block on Elm before it veers/turns left and becomes Oak Creek Grade.  Twist through a few turns and come over a hill and you'll see the restaurant and club house on your left across the golf course. Then turn left into the drive at the Shadow Hills and The View sign and up to the main stucco two-story building.  The restaurant is up the stairs to your right or take the elevator straight ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment