Monday, August 19, 2013

Going for a Hike!


We just got back from one of my favorite things - a hike in the mountains.  It was just a brief afternoon hike on the Rainbow Trail above Westcliffe, but the late summer air felt great, and there were still a few raspberries on their bushes, and even fleabane and harebells still blooming along the trail.  It was very regenerating, and we need to do more of it!  What is it about a trail that is so enticing?  Is it the promise of adventure, or of new things to see, or just the feeling of the dirt under your feet, the smell of the pines in your nose, and the warmth of sun on your face and mountain air in your chest?  Either way it is heaven on earth to me.  I even like the ache in my legs and feet when I get home.  Sometimes I think it reconnects me with those who went before - the miners, pioneers, frontiersmen, and native Americans who walked the same rugged land and pondered their own existence.  I guess the wild lands give you something to measure yourself against - something that is so much bigger than your self and so primal.  And it reminds me how much I am a part of the earth - made from the very elements of the earth and the stars.  A hike is a magical thing that always brings out these thoughts in me.  How about you?

So where will I be this week?  Well, the summer is finally slowing down, so I only have a couple gigs to tell you about this week, and only one that most of you could come to.

Friday night I'm at the La Veta Inn 6-9.  I had another great group of folks last week, and it was getting a little chilly by the end of the evening as the summer starts to give way to fall.  Come out if you can.  There is a new menu with several items that looks really yummy to me, and my music just seems to fit this marvelous old building and patio.

Saturday I have a private outdoor concert in Cuchara for some wonderful folks I get to play for many summers - the Cuchara Hermosa.  If you're one of their members, I hope to see you for an evening of music and friends!

So that's it for this week.

Tom

Details:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, August 23, 6-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment