Monday, August 5, 2013

Morning at the Lake


I'm reminiscing again today because the cool breeze I was greeted with this morning outside our house brought back a summer memory that washed over me in a rush.  When I was a kid we had a trailer on a lake in central Nebraska where we would spend many weekends.  It wasn't fancy - just a house trailer we could sleep in and use as our base for boating, fishing and exploring the lake.  It had a great big porch we could even sleep on with screens and storm windows, and my folks bought a bunch of old mattresses to lay out on the porch so we could have sleepovers with a bunch of friends if we wanted to.  There are so many things I could tell you about the lake, but the main thing I'm thinking about today was just how it felt in the morning walking down to the shore and feeling that breeze - that grand breeze in my face with the faint smell of lake water and the promise of an exciting new day!  I may have been looking forward to taking the rowboat out to a new cove or fishing along the bank of trees in the cove where we pulled our boat in.  Our next-door neighbors on both sides were interesting characters, and one of them used to make German chocolate cakes for me which I still love to this day.  (I had convinced her to quit smoking when I was 6 or 7, and she was so grateful that she made me cakes!)  Whatever the adventure, the smells of the grass and trees and water, the sights of the sunlight dancing on the lake and greenery, and the sounds of red-winged blackbirds, frogs, and splashing water were heaven to a young boy.  I also remember walking in that breeze at night down to the point to listen to the waves lapping the shore.  It is so vivid in my mind to this day!

But enough reminiscing for now, what am I up to this week?

Thursday I'm back at the Yellow Pine 6:30-8:30 for the barbecue.  We only have two weeks left for this summer for the barbecue, and there have been many great memories with old and new faces.  If you'd like to be a part of it, then by-all-means call and make a reservation - 719-742-3528.

Saturday and Sunday I'm back in Buena Vista for the annual Gold Rush Days celebration 11-3 both days.  (I'm usually a little flexible with my time to fit into the activities during the weekend.)  This is a really fun festival with all kinds of fun things to do and vendors with great items and food.  I bring an EZ-Up craft tent and set up in the grass on the south end of McPhelemy Park near the waterfall with chairs and benches for folks to sit and enjoy the park and my music.  It makes a fun getaway in the cool mountains with some fine folks.  If you're hankering for a nice day in the mountains, you can't do much better than this!

So that's enough for this week.  I hope you're enjoying your summer, and I'd love to see you if you can make it out!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, August 8, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at Gold Rush Days
Where:  Buena Vista at McPhelemey Park (on the west side of the highway in the center of town)
When:  Saturday & Sunday, August 9 and 10, 11:00 am - 3:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment