Monday, December 1, 2014

Facing Uncertainty

I’m coming back to a subject that comes around in all our minds every so often - uncertainty.  Of course we never know what is coming tomorrow, and when we let ourselves dwell on it, it can become many things - from paralyzing to exciting.  Anticipating things we are expecting can bring dark foreboding or a frenzy of enthusiasm.  So why am I thinking about this today?  Well, I’ve been listening to a great series on Wisconsin Public Radio about death which is not as dark as it sounds, but very thought-provoking, and also we are taking our dog in this week for surgery that hopefully will go well, but as we know there is always risk.  I’m also thinking of the joy and excitement of the Christmas season and all it brings.  I have so many different influences on my thoughts when I think about uncertainty.  From the Bible I know the great verse in Matthew about not worrying about tomorrow because tomorrow will worry for itself.  From experience I know that hardly anything I worry about actually comes to pass - instead it’s always something else (good or bad) that is often very interesting and not something I should fear.  From science and science fiction I have read that time and space are all connected in ways that I have a hard time fathoming, but seem to indicate that time just ‘is' and that we are moving through it.  That comforts me in an odd way - giving me an inkling that it’s something I will understand better someday.  I seldom let myself get too afraid of uncertainty.  It’s too easy to psych myself out and then be so self-involved that I can’t function or show love to those folks in my daily life.  So I’m gliding along today, and I’m not letting uncertainty invade what is another beautiful day and a beautiful season to be alive.  Happy Holidays, people!

Highlights from the last two weeks

Magpies went really well on Friday the 21st.  I had a good crowd of regulars with a few new faces, and we did a lot of 1970’s songs.  It was fun!  Then Saturday was a packed house at the Old Towne Carriage House for the Song of Pueblo with guest, Daniel Valdez.  It was an amazing night!  We had so many fine folks, and the history and the music all brought us to a great place once again.  It’s a joy to be involved in this show.  Thanksgiving weekend I didn’t play out anywhere, but I had a fantastic time seeing family and getting to share some music with them.  I hope you had a joyous and thankful time too!

What’s up this week?

Friday 7-10 I’m back at Magpies to start the holiday season.  I will bring my Christmas songsheets if anyone wants to sing Christmas songs, but I’m actually thinking of doing the official sing-along on the 19th unless anyone would rather do the sing-along this week.  Please let me know if you’d prefer that.  Of course we can do some sing-along songs both times, so no worries if you come and would like to do some singing.  This will be a fun holiday season, for sure!

That’s it for this week.  Hope to see you!

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, December 5, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment