Monday, March 16, 2015

Getting to the Essence or Heart

I used to use a line in my publicity that talked about me having the ability to get to the heart of a song, and I have often wondered about that notion. What I meant in my publicity was that I liked to get to a bare representation of a song with just the melody and chords and the spirit of the song. We all have what we get out of a song, and I try to find this. I still try to, and I think looking at life in this way would reflect a kind of wisdom and distinction that we should all strive for. I have often seen situations where it was difficult to figure out what was going on - arguments between people or groups, or complex problems of building or failure, or maybe questions of logic and fallacy in a situation. The first thing this requires is making some distance and getting an overview or some perspective. The second requires reflection and drawing on previous experience and knowledge. Then it may require some research or questions. Finally you can make a comment or decision. Of course this all takes time and patience, and this is more rare nowadays, but I think it is important and worthwhile. What do you think? Is it worth getting to the heart of it?

Highlights from the past couple of weeks

Magpies was a lot of fun, although I tried to stick to what I talked about in my mailer as far as sticking to cowboy and comedy songs. It was a weird mix, to be sure, but we made the best of it, and I eventually broke away to requests and some crazy stuff. It's all good! I've also been playing a ton of Irish tunes to put people in the mood for St. Patrick's Day and bring out the Irish in me. It has been rest fun!

What's up this week?

Friday night I'm back at Magpies 7-10, and I just finished John Denver's autobiography, so I'm sure some of his songs will drift out of me. Other than that the better weather is putting me in the mind of fun outdoors music, so maybe a little Jimmy Buffet or the Beach Boys would be in order. I'm up for wherever the evening goes, so come on out and join in the energy of the music! We're sure to have some fun!

I just finished my taxes, so I'm up for a great week, and I hope you are too.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, March 20, 7-10 pm


No comments:

Post a Comment