Monday, March 30, 2015

Turning Everything Off / Magpies this Friday

I’m finding this morning that I can’t focus as easily as I usually do.  One of the things I like to do is listen to podcasts or books on a bluetooth headset paired with my phone while I’m exercising and doing my daily routine.  I try to find things that are educational or otherwise brain-stimulating so that they help me to keep sharp, but I also find that the continuous undercurrent of words can pull me under or give me a little angst when I need to slow down and dig deep.  I just turned off a podcast, and so I’m feeling this as I try to write this morning.  There’s been a lot of talk lately about shutting off devices where we get continuous notifications of updates and messages, and this is a concern for me as well (although you’d be surprised at how little of that I actually get).  I know that some people meditate or do other solitary things to gain perspective.  Music can do that for me sometimes - both listening and playing.  I think even a good run/walk or a shower can do that - there’s good physical stimulation and solitary stillness involved.  Turning off and listening to that stillness within can be very gratifying.  I just did a little and came back to writing - a bit of a stretch, a close of the eyes, and a little breathing, and I’m back to center.  Ahhh…

So what have the past two weeks been like?

St. Patrick’s Day was a blast.  I think I got the Irish out of my system for the year, but I have to say that a lot of songs are sticking with me as I move on.  There’s such passion in those songs!  Magpies was a great time again.  I did the mix I talked about doing - Jimmy Buffet, Beach Boys, John Denver.  It was actually a little weird.  We drifted onto other things as the night progressed.  Then I played a friend’s mother’s funeral last Friday which I’m always honored to do, and they requested a newer song which I really enjoyed getting to know - “Dancing in the Sky”.  It’s an honest take on loss and reflection on the afterlife that I really appreciated.

I’m also booking more for the summer.  I just found out that I’ll be back at the Yellow Pine Guest Ranch in Cuchara for the Thursday-night barbeque mid-June through mid-August.  I’m working on some dates for 8 Mile Grill by the Royal Gorge too, and I’m working on a big reunion the first weekend in October in Iowa for Philmont friends.  And there’s more - stay tuned!

What’s up this week?

Friday I’m back at Magpies.  This will probably be the next-to-last time at Magpies for the season, so come on out if you can!  I haven’t made a plan for what music to do yet, but I think I’m leaning towards some mountain music as I look forward to getting into the mountains this summer.  Is anyone up for that?  Also I’m not playing anywhere for Easter - we have family plans, but I’m playing a lot of Easter and Spring music this week.

So that’s it for this week.  Thank you for reading and corresponding and being such supportive friends!

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, April 3, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment