Tuesday, September 1, 2015

It's Going to Take Some Time

The line from Carole King, “it’s going to take some time this time” keeps going through my mind this morning.  I just feel like I’m drifting through space and time this week without any direction.  I’m not grieving as much as I’m just trying to understand when (and if) life will ever be back to some sort of normalcy.  Part of it is the lingering feeling that I’m not sure where I belong in the grand scheme of things - relating to the feeling of the hierarchy of my life changing without a matriarch at the head of our family.  The other part is that I’m beginning to realize the full extent of what it will take to move, organize, and disperse everything my mom had accumulated over the years.  My sisters are helping with this tremendously, and so it’s not as big as when I was contemplating doing most of this myself when I agreed to it a dozen years ago.  At the time I was the only one without children, with a flexible job (being self-employed), and close enough to my parents’ home to travel there frequently.  So I feel like I’m drifting a bit.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it has even inspired a couple of songs for my instrumental guitar album - one that sounds like drifting, and one that is a comfort song.  And as I said before, performing music keeps me grounded in a very real way - it is solid and reassuring.  So I’ll take this time to drift a while, knowing that life has these moments, and setting my sails for the warm breezes to come.

What’s up this week?

I’m playing at the Royal Gorge Bridge with the Atomic Fireballs Saturday 10:30 to 2:30 and Monday 12:30 to 4:30 for the Labor Day weekend.  It should be a blast!  Please come up if you can.  We’re playing on the south side of the bridge on the new stage. Why am I not there on Sunday, you might ask. because I’m playing a wedding for a good friend’s daughter.  That will be a joyous occasion, I know.  The band will be at the bridge without me that day, so go on up and cheer them on!

That’s it for this week.  I hope to see you soon.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who: Tom Munch and the Atomic Fireballs
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge at the Royal Gorge Bridge on the new stage just off the bridge
When: Saturday, September 5, 10:30 am-2:30 pm, and Monday, September 7, 12:30-4:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment