Monday, August 10, 2026

Tending

I’ve written before of how I like it when things are done, but it occurred to me Sunday morning as I was mowing and trimming that there is great satisfaction in tending things and guiding their growth and development. I’m not saying I do a great job making the yard, trees, and bushes grow, but I do like seeing how they respond to care and direction. I don’t know why I’m just coming around to seeing that at 65 years of age, but it’s better late than never, I guess. I’ve never been much of a planner, but I can see especially how those who came before made a difference that lasted with the land. Look at how the Native Americans maintained the forests and grasslands with planned burns and respect for the animals. Look at how good farmers understand how to protect the land with cover crops snd rotation. Look at how good parents and mentors know when to discourage and when to encourage their children and charges. I think of my parents when I say this. They knew pretty well when to jump in and when to pull back in our lives, and they did an amazing job planting and tending trees and making a garden in more than one place. It not only takes hard work, but it also takes so much planning and care. And obviously it goes into all the aspects of our lives. Thoughtful living and conscious stewardship are a must in any society that thrives. How about you? Do you think of the things you tend in your life?


——


What have I been up to?


I had 8 senior facilities last week, and I did a pretty big variety of songs for all of them. One of them I just did old TV and movie themes and a few ads for. That was crazy! I love playing for these folks.


My Wednesday online show was playing traveling songs, and it was so much fun. We haven’t traveled this year, and so it was an opportunity to travel in our minds a bit. The group really gave me some super requests.


Thursday was the final barbecue of the season for the Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, and it was very sweet. I had some good friends in the group, and we did a proper send-off for the season. Hopefully we'll be back at it next year!


Friday night I played a dance in Cuchara with my friend Dennis Mills, and it was a wonderful success with lots of folks coming out and kicking up their heels. I’m only sorry that Bruce (the organizer for the dance) isn’t completely well yet and couldn’t make it.


Saturday I had a birthday party for one of my old fans and friends from the Royal Gorge Bridge. Frank was turning 80, and it was great to see him and his family and reminisce a bit about the days I played up there and did a history show as well.


My Sunday online show was very enjoyable too with some good folks making some great requests. I love these folks as well.


——


What am I up to this week?


I have 8 senior facilities this week as well, and I’m looking forward to doing some more interesting themes for August. Every day is an adventure.


Wednesday I won’t be doing an online show because I’ll be playing a party for the Cuchara Hermosa, a women’s group I’ve been playing events for in Cuchara for many years. They do so many wonderful things in the community, and it’s a pleasure getting to play for them.


This weekend I hope to see family down in New Mexico at our family cabins since there are some I haven’t seen in over a year.


My Sunday online show 7-8:45 mountain time will be favorites and requests as always, and I’ll be bringing some great energy from the mountains so you know it’ll be a fun show. Come on out!


——


That’s it for this week. The summer is almost over, and we’ve been setting heat records here in southern Colorado. It was 105 degrees yesterday - ugh. I’m definitely ready for some fall weather. I hope you are healthy and happy.


Best always,


Tom 


——


Details this week:


Who:  Tom Munch 

What:  playing and singing an online concert of favorites and requests 

Where:  facebook.com/tom.munch and tommunch.com/online-concerts   

When:  Sunday, August 16, 7-8:45 pm mountain time

No comments:

Post a Comment