Monday, March 18, 2013

Taxes, Taxes, Taxes - UGH!


I'm coming up for air for a minute while I'm doing my taxes.  Even though I keep extensive records, I still have a mountain of work every year preparing my taxes for the accountant.  It's mainly going over all my statements, checks, receipts, records, and calendar to make sure I've captured every income and expense item.  Even though I think my records are good, I still find several big items I've forgotten on both sides of the ledger.  Every year I say that I can't find the mental acuity to do it again, but every year I take a deep breath and plod on until I'm ready to turn it all in again to the accountant and see what the damage is.  Do you all go through this much anguish as well?  Sometimes I wish I had a regular job where I got one statement from my employer at the end of the year, and my taxes would be simple.  But my life is music, and that's not how this life is meant to be.

On a lighter note, I've picked up several private events of late, and it's always very gratifying to have people remember me and ask me to play for their event.  A couple of these are surprise parties, so I won't tell you any details.

I will tell you that I've been asked to play for the Sharlot Hall Museum Folk Music Festival in Prescott, Arizona, the first weekend of October.  A good friend I used to know in Cripple Creek now lives in Prescott and helped set this up for me.  I'm thrilled, and again it's good to get around sometimes.  I haven't been to Arizona in a few years, and I miss the mesas and cactus of that beautiful land!

Speaking of Arizona, I won't be playing the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Prescott in August as I had written before.  I'll apply again next year and use some connections to hopefully get on the bill.  I love to play and sing the cowboy songbook!

I have a few other opportunities like this with a little travel involved, and as I get the gumption to strike out on the trail I'll tell you about them.  Stay tuned!

So what's up this week?

I just have one public gig outside of my regular Alzheimer's therapy and nursing gigs this week.

Sunday I'm at Shadow Hills for brunch 10-1.  Last week we had special Irish food for brunch, and I played just about every Irish tune I know.  This week will be the lull before the storm with Easter coming in the next week and a very big brunch.  I always look forward to the good food and good folks I see on Sundays, and I'd love to see you too if it works out this week.

Have a good week!

Tom

Details:

Who:  Tom Munch
What: playing and singing for brunch
Where:  Shadow Hills Golf Course, 1232 County Rd 143, Canon City.  719-275-0603
When:  Sunday, March 24, 10 am-1 pm

Directions to Shadow Hills:
(There's construction on the regular route, so you need to turn a couple blocks ahead of Elm on Cyanide and follow the Detour signs to get to Elm.) Go south on 9th Street from the main light in Cañon City to the bend in the road and turn right on Elm by the cemetery.  Then it's just one block on Elm before it veers/turns left and becomes Oak Creek Grade.  Twist through a few turns and come over a hill and you'll see the restaurant and club house on your left across the golf course. Then turn left into the drive at the Shadow Hills and The View sign and up to the main stucco two-story building.  The restaurant is up the stairs to your right or take the elevator straight ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment