Monday, June 6, 2016

Ah, Summer!

The season is upon us again that always fills me with energy and awe.  Summer has always represented such wonderful things to me - traveling, mountains, swimming, fresh produce, warm evenings, lots of music, and so much more.  As I get older it wears me out just thinking of all the things to do in the summer, and yet there is an electricity in my bones as the season gets rolling that will carry me through.  When I was young the summer always had endless hours of outdoors playing with friends and literally living in my swim trunks.  As I got older it was hiking and mountains and the smell of a campfire and fresh pine.  Then in my adulthood it was playing music at all hours and in every location imaginable.  In midlife now it’s still playing music a “heckuvalot”, but there is also the quiet reflection of the beauty of a summer morning or the cool of a summer evening.  The summer seems to fly by and be gone before I even know it has started.  But still there is that energy that helps get me through the long hours of work, the weeding and digging, and the rush of the day.  Drink it in, my friends, it’s summer!

What have I been up to?

The gig at the park in La Veta the weekend before last was a blast!  It was the perfect start to summer for me, playing for a group of old and new friends on a perfect day in the park.  I sang a bunch of Guy Clark songs to honor his memory, as well as a lot of other mountain and western songs and a bundle of my own tunes.

I’ve also been rehearsing with the band from La Veta that I play the Jelly Jam with.  We have a gig next week and a couple over Independence Day weekend - more about those as they draw closer.

I’m also done with the big part of my mom’s estate.  The sale from the moving of all her stuff will be in Pueblo on Santa Fe Ave this month.  There is more info and pictures of some of the stuff here - https://www.estatesales.net/CO/Pueblo/81006/1171410.

What’s up this week?

This Friday I’m performing the Song of Pueblo oratorio at 7:00 with the SoP band in Walsenburg at the Washington Underground Theater.  This should be a really fun evening in a really fine venue.  If you’re in the area please come!  This will be quite a special performance.

That’s it for now.  Next week my calendar starts going crazy with summer gigs.  Check it out at my website if you’re interested in planning where we might rendezvous over the summer.

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch with Johnny Watson, David Enke, & Alan Polivka
What:  playing, singing, & telling the history of Pueblo at the Song of Pueblo oratorio
Where:  Washington Underground Theater (the old Washington School) 5th and Russell, Walsenburg
When:  Friday, June 10, 7:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment