Monday, June 20, 2016

Sensations

I'm reminded at just how wonderful life is today by sensations I'm feeling. First, I found some new fingerpicks that simulate fingernails better than any I have tried before, and so I have stripped off the coatings on my right-hand nails and am trying these new picks all week. This gives my fingers a feeling I haven't felt in more than 20 years with flexibility in my fingertips and a lightness that is hard to describe. I was using my left hand where I didn't have the nail coatings for a lot of tasks that I couldn't perform with thick nails on my right hand. It's a small thing, but it's huge in my experience. We'll see if the picks make the grade. Second, I was walking this morning in very thin-soled "barefoot" shoes, and I was struck at how often I felt sticks and grass under my feet that I'm usually unaware of. It was like being a kid walking barefoot in grass or sand for the first time. It was a great sensation, and one I savored. I tend to be more aware of sensations than a lot of folks in my experience. It's a little joy I can treat myself to on an ordinary day. How about you? Hugh Prather wrote about sensation in books I must have read more than 30 years ago. I'm glad to remember today.

What have I been up to?

Last week surely kicked my patootie! I played Tuesday through Saturday nights as well as days, and I was exhausted by Sunday when I got the chance to catch up a bit.

Tuesday was great fun playing at the park in Florence. I had a good crowd on a beautiful evening. Thursday was the first night of the summer at the Yellow Pine, and I love the new owners, Lee and Joy, and what they've done with the place. Playing there always feels like home. Friday was a blast playing at the Jelly Jam with the La Veta band folks. We had a huge crowd. Saturday night was glorious celebrating Karen and Erics' marriage with the McGregors and friends. Congratulations, you two!

What am I up to this week?

Thursday is the Yellow Pine barbeque, and I'm really looking forward to it. I can't believe how much I've missed the place. The food is better than ever, and I think you'll love the improvements. Call 719-742-3528 for reservations.

Friday I'm playing the opening celebration for Blue Heron Gallery at 125 E. Main in Florence, CO. This looks like a very nice place. You may have seen the post I shared about this on Facebook.

Saturday I'm playing a private party for a good friend's graduation in CaƱon City that I'm really looking forward to!

Sunday I start my season playing for the Scouts on their way to Philmont Scout Ranch after they raft at the Royal Gorge. This is a great chance to inspire and encourage, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to do so.

That's it for this week. There's a ton going on this summer, and I hope I run into you somewhere down the road.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, June 23, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing for the gallery opening
Where:  Blue Heron Gallery at 125 E. Main, Florence, CO
When:  Friday, June 24, 7-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment