Monday, May 19, 2014

Excitement and Memories of Summer

It's the last week before Memorial Day, and Memorial Day always signaled the start of summer for me as I was growing up.  Our family would typically spend the weekend somewhere camping and boating.  The weather wasn't always great, but our spirits were always high and full of expectation for an exciting summer.  We were always looking forward to weekends at the lake where we had a trailer and could go sailing or motor boating and skiing.  Or we might be looking forward to spending a week or two in the mountains where we could hike and explore.  It seemed like every week was a new adventure!

That's probably why I still look forward to summer so much.  Not only do those memories hang on, but I've made new memories of fun places where I get to meet new people and experience the joy of life.  I really do cherish the opportunities that are just waiting out there!  And I have a lot of them this summer, and I'm sure there will be many more yet unseen.  I've already shared some of them with you, so I won't go over all of the places I get to be this summer.  But I hope you get as excited as I do.  I know that there will be hot days when we are looking forward to the Fall, and I know there will be times when the tourist traffic and bustle will aggravate us as we try to get to and fro, but in all of this there is the sizzle of something in the air that only summer can bring.  It can be a marathon, but it is so worthwhile!

Before I get to the weekly gigs I have to tell you that we have a new friend to add to our Song of Pueblo roster.  Unfortunately Linda Amman will no longer be playing with us - to everything there is a season, and our season with her has now ended, but we have someone to be a fourth player for us that Linda says is "Poyfect!" - Alan Polivka.  Alan is an accordionist extraordinaire who also plays bass with his left hand as Linda did on the keyboard.  He isn't trying to fill her shoes, but he does a masterful job in his own right with his own take on many of our songs.  I think you'll enjoy him!  Our one public performance (so far - stay tuned) will be on June 25th, 7:00 pm at El Pueblo History Museum when we debut our new song - "Bojon Town."  This is a celebration of the Bojon community in Pueblo.  We'd love to have you come see the show and especially to hear the addition of the new song, so make your plans now and call El Pueblo History Museum for tickets - (719) 583-0453.

Also I got to play a wedding at Philmont Scout Ranch this past weekend, and I wrote a wedding song for the couple that you might enjoy.  Here is a link to an mp3 that you can listen to, and I'll also paste in the lyrics.  There are many references to places at Philmont that are special to the couple - Katy Cox and Jesse McCallon.  It was a beautiful event on the lawn of the Villa Philmonte, and I was honored to be part of it!

http://tommunch.com/ShareMyLife.mp3

Share My Life

It was a magical time at a magical place
Mountains so high, stars in your face
People to meet, from all over the world
One special guy, one special girl

Meeting by chance, lighting a spark
Reaching out, a shot in the dark
I'll be your friend, together we'll grow
Where it will lead, how can we know

So we hiked to Lover's, we two-stepped so light
We saw falling stars, in the deep mountain night
And we fell in love, and I said be mine
as the sun rose, on the Tooth of Time

So I ask you now, will you share my life
We can walk together, husband and wife
We will share our dreams, 'til the end draws nigh
Through the good and bad, as the years go by

As the light descends on this beautiful day
Bless our friends, this we pray
Here with our families, and the mountains above
We start a new journey, in this HOmE we love

So I ask you now, will you share my life
We can walk together, husband and wife
We will share our dreams, 'til the end draws nigh
Through the good and bad, as the years go by
Will you share my life
Come share my life
Come share my life

℗ © 2014 Tom Munch

So where am I this week?

Friday I'll be back for one more time before the summer at Magpies 7-10.  I have a bunch of family coming into town from all over the country, and the place will be buzzing with excitement, so I expect this will be an outstanding night of fun!  I hope you can make it!

That's it for this week.  I hope your summer starts off with a bang!

Best always,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment