Monday, September 1, 2014

Summer's End

Labor Day always marks the end of summer for me, and it’s like a giant door on magic hinges slowly closing on one chapter and another door opening on the next chapter.  I have always felt a little sadness at what's left behind and yet also great joy at what’s coming up the path.  I have written before of the rituals I had as a child on the final weekend before school started after Labor Day, so I won’t write of that again.  Instead I’ll tell you where it finds me this year.  The fall and winter ahead are uncertain for me.  We’ll take a little vacation time before the snows fall, and I have a couple projects to wrap up before I start thinking about the holidays and beyond.  I need to do an album this winter season, but I haven’t absolutely decided on what it will be.  I had thought of doing another cowboy album, but I don’t really have enough good cowboy songs to do a full record.  I’d like to write another original album, but I don’t really have a definite concept yet.  There are songs in the hopper and even songs I’ve already recorded that will work, but I like for there to be some continuity in an album (even though I’m told that no one buys full albums or thinks about how they fit together as a piece anymore) so I need to think that through a bit more.  I have even thought of an all-instrumental album, and that’s not a bad idea considering I have a few of those songs in my mind and sketched out.  I have questions about where I would perform those and if I’d have to market that kind of an album differently.  At some point I will start to schedule more touring and need more original material, so I’m always thinking of that in the back of my mind as well.  Life is good and we have our health, so here’s to what comes next!

Last Week’s Highlights

Tuesday I had a little minor surgery on my leg veins in one leg that went well and is healing nicely.  I’m glad to have that behind me.

Friday was a fun crowd at the La Veta Inn.  The weather was beautiful for a nice night on the patio although a cool breeze around 8:00 reminded us that fall is coming very soon.  I had a great group of folks, and we did a bunch of ’60’s tunes as well as the regular favorites.

Saturday was the surprise I told you about - or rather didn’t tell you about since it was a secret.  I played a couple songs for a wedding proposal at the Nature Center in Pueblo on the deck by the river.  It was a beautiful night with wonderful decorations, and she said, “Yes!”  It was an honor to be part of such a loving event.

So what’s up for this week?

Friday I’m back at the La Veta Inn 6-9 for another (hopefully) beautiful night on the patio.  I so enjoy the folks who come to see me there, and I look forward to playing in the warm ambience of the Inn.  Come out if you can!

Sunday morning 10-11:30 I’m playing for the St. Pius X Parish Picnic.  If you’re a member of that church I’ll see you there.  It sounds like a fun family event in their lovely courtyard!

So that’s it for this week.  If you’re looking ahead, October 24th 7-10 will be the first night of the season at Magpies in Pueblo.  Fall is upon us!

Best,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, September 1, 6-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment