Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Beauty of Fall

Well, the air is crisp here in the plains leading up to the Front Range of Colorado, and Fall is certainly in the air.  A couple days ago we went to get apples from one of our favorite orchards, and we were delighted to see families making their annual trip as well - teaching their children about the value of the land and the bounty of the earth as it produces such tasty treats.  I love this time of year.  The slowing down and the changing of life to the beauty of the ripening is sacred in its own way.  It brings about melancholy in some, and I see that reflected in the songs that I sing to celebrate the season - “September Song,” “Try to Remember.” “Four Strong Winds,” and Dan Fogelberg’s “The Reach.”  I sometimes feel this sadness too, but it is tempered with the gorgeous colors of the leaves and the business of scheduling a new season.  This is a wonderful world we live in with such beauty around us in all situations, and the seasons remind us of the flow of life and the amazing intricacy and yet simplicity of our existence.  I hope you are drinking it in and savoring every moment.  Live with passion and abandonment, my friends!

Highlights from Last Week

Friday night was a bittersweet last night of the season at the La Veta Inn.  My “Munch Bunch” came out in full colors, and we celebrated late as we enjoyed each other’s company one last time in the warm atmosphere of the Inn.  I’ll miss those folks and that place.  Until we meet again, my friends…

Saturday night the Song of Pueblo was a blast with a great group of folks at the reunion.  This history of southern Colorado is so magical every time I experience it again.

What’s on Tap for this Week?

Friday night I’m playing a private party for a 66th high school reunion in Cañon City.  It should be fun!

Saturday 10-3 and Sunday 12-4  I’m playing at the Elite Outdoorsman Expo in Cañon City.  It’s a great Fall event with all kinds of activities at the Robison Mansion - with beer and wine gardens, food vendors, fly fishing and casting demos, family archery targets, off-road vehicles, dunk tank, bobbing for apples, my music, and much more.  It is all to help raise money to help restore the historic Hotel St. Cloud in Cañon City - a beautiful place where I had the pleasure to play many years ago that needs a little TLC to be returned to its former glory.  Please come out if you can.  It should be a blast!  You can read more about it here - http://www.eliteoutdoorsmanexpo.com.

Saturday night I’m also going to a Philmont staff reunion Oktoberfest party that I’m really looking forward to!

That’s it for this week.  I hope to see you out and about!

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  Playing and singing for the Elite Outdoorsman Expo
Where:  Historic Robison Mansion and Carriage House, 12 Riverside Drive, Cañon City.
When:  Saturday, September 20, 10 am -3 pm, and Sunday, September 21, 12-4 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment