Monday, June 15, 2015

Seeing the Beauty in the Ordinary

I've been spending a lot of my time in the last month trying to keep up with the prolific weeds that are growing everywhere as a result of our historic rainfall amounts. In the past I've just whacked it all down en masse without too much concern for being artistic, but this year with all the rain we have all kinds of lovely wildflowers blooming all over our property. It's amazing to see, and I don't want to lose the beauty that has popped up all around, so I have been selecting cutting and pulling weeds so that our entire property has turned into a flower garden. I say in my title above that it's beauty from the ordinary, but it's extraordinary if anything how such exquisite color and form can come from such humble earth and rain. It reminds me that there is beauty in places that you don't expect, and to remember this in the future when things seem bleak or ordinary. 

What happened in the last week?

Thursday the Yellow Pine cancelled just a day or so before the first barbecue show in Cuchara. A new owner and a change of direction are in the works. I'm still hopeful that we may still put on the barbecue for part of the summer, so keep your fingers crossed. This has always been a wonderful place to play for some wonderful people!

Friday the Song of Pueblo started out in high style with our first show at Pueblo 
Community College in their beautiful theater. We had a good crowd and were in good form to deliver the history with passion and authenticity. The next show is July 24. 

What's going on this week?

Saturday will be a very fine event playing a concert for the Florence Arts Council at 7:00 in the Bell Tower Cultural Center (formerly the First Baptist Church, 201 East Second Street). This is open to the public, and a very beautiful venue to get to play my music in. This is in conjunction with the "Our West, Our Way" art exhibit which features the western art of Rudl and Audrie Mergleman. I'm very excited to play this concert, and I hope you'll consider coming out for it if you are anywhere near Florence on June 20th. Tickets are $8 for members and $10 for non-members and can be purchased at the Bell Tower Cultural Center. More info at florenceartscouncil.com. 

Sunday I start my series of shows for Boy Scouts headed to Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico. I've done these for several years, and they are a wonderful opportunity to entertain and impart a little wisdom to these young men and women headed for the adventure of a lifetime. Wish me luck!

That's it for this week. I'm burning the candle at both ends and loving it!

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who: Tom Munch
What: playing a concert in Florence, CO
Where: Bell Tower Cultural Center, 201 East Second Street, 719-784-2038
When: Saturday, July 20, 7:00

No comments:

Post a Comment