Monday, July 13, 2015

The Lives We Touch

I'm glad I've lived long enough to see how my words and actions have born fruit. No, it doesn't take 54 years to see this, but it sure compounds the concept. Over my life so far I've had the opportunity to interact with a lot of people in big and small ways - from my Alzheimer's residents to friends, family, and audiences. When interactions are done badly it comes back to haunt us with people thinking poorly of us and not wanting to work with us anymore, and when they're done well it lifts up the other person and lifts us in turn. This weekend I had an instance on both sides. On the bad, a day or so ago a friend of mine made a slightly critical post on Facebook about the kind of people who get under his skin - not knowing that I might be included in this group. I'm used to him kind of trolling Facebook with these kind of comments, so I usually don't let them bother me, but this time I bit and commented. I found that it lingered on my mind for quite some time and really bothered me. I've done that myself in different ways, and I think it doesn't serve any beneficial purpose. And I'm still thinking about it, so I will avoid this in the future! On the good, at my concert on Saturday I talked with a guy just a couple years younger than me whom I met more than 30 years ago when I picked him up hitchhiking at Philmont (a common practice around Philmont since we always trusted other scouts.) He had heard of me and revered me - as often happens when we're young with others a little older than ourselves. I talked with him that day and gave him a copy of my first album on tape which made an impact on him. 30 years later his daughter contacted me asking if that tape was available on CD. I told her it wasn't, but that I would make him a copy she could give him. We developed a friendship of sorts through my helping her with a school music project, and now a few years later I've met the entire family and consider them friends. That's a good that has now compounded in ways I could not have anticipated. What's my takeaway? Every interaction has an impact - from small to large. We should always know that we touch other's lives in ways that matter every day.

What happened last week?

What a week gone by! Friday and Saturday spending time with family and helping with family projects was a joy. Then the Philmont concert Saturday night was much better than I could have expected. Everyone was so generous with their time and kind recognition. Even the sunset and the warm night were beautiful! Lastly, the memorial I played Sunday went from somber to festive and was a real honor to be part of. It's a joy to be able to give to others in support of their grief and celebration.

What's up this week?

Friday I'm playing a concert at Lucy's in La Veta starting at 6:30. This is a fun outdoor community event that has a really beautiful setting with supportive people. Bring a lawn chair just in case.  It's free with donations accepted. I'd love to see you there! Then Saturday I'm playing the Westcliffe Stampede Rodeo dance with a band we call Midnight Rain (members of the Atomic Fireballs) that only plays at this event each year. It's a kickin' time that's a wild ride and a blast to play! Come out if you want to see some great dancers - some crazier than others. Sunday I'm playing for a good friend's retirement party, and I may see some of my regulars from Magpies there since this friend goes to Magpies with his wife often!

On beyond

I wanted to mention that the Yellow Pine has already told me that they definitely want to do the Thursday-night barbecue again next summer even though we cancelled them for this summer. Also, we're performing the Song of Pueblo next week on Friday at PCC Hoag Theater again. Tickets are available at the Pueblo Welcome Center in front of El Pueblo Museum on Union.

That's it for this week. Take care of yourself and enjoy the summer!

Best always,

Tom

Details for this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing an outdoor concert
Where:  I Love Lucy's Place RV Park, 226 W. Grand Avenue, La Veta. 719-742-3252
When:  Friday, July 17, 6:30- 8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch & the Atomic Fireballs
What:  playing for the Westcliffe Stampede Rodeo dance
Where:  Westcliffe Rodeo Grounds (north of town)
When:  Saturday, July 18, 9 pm - 1 am

No comments:

Post a Comment