Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Why Do You Listen to Music?

I have an interesting question for you - Why do you listen to music?  I was thinking about this for myself as I found myself listening to the new Apple Music streaming service which allows anyone to listen to anything in their whole catalog for free during a three-month trial service.  Sometimes I listen to find new songs to perform.  Sometimes I listen to connect with memories of days gone by.  Sometimes I listen to change my mood or give me energy to exercise or to stay awake on a tiring drive.  Sometimes I listen to enrich my life with something meaningful or heartwarming.  In past centuries some people believed that listening to and also making music could help shape the brain - aligning us to the laws of the universe.  I actually find that I listen to music less than I used to.  I’ve gotten hooked on podcasts over the past few years (mostly science and philosophy or current events), and those seem to take up a lot of my listening time.  I also listen to audiobooks since I find that to be a more practical way to read books when I’m busy.  With my work with Alzheimer's I have really found that music makes a positive impact on life, and so I know it offers connections and benefits that we don’t fully understand.  Plus it’s just downright enjoyable!  Personally I think that music has much more importance than what we understand in this life - almost like a secret language or mystical portal.  Weird, I know.  What do you think?

What happened last week?

Friday’s concert at Lucy’s was so much fun!  There were lots of familiar faces and such a wonderful setting on the grass under the trees with perfect weather.  I hope to do it again in August - stay tuned for the date.  Saturday with the band at the Westcliffe rodeo dance was all I thought it would be - from partial forgotten gear to wild dancers and a late night.  And they asked us back next year for our 14th year!  Sunday night was the retirement party I told you about, and I did see a few of you there, and it was just as much fun as I thought it would be.  And I discovered a new musician I’ve really grown to like from one of the guests - Hobo Jim.  Check out his Woodsmoke album if you like folksy, bluegrass music from way up north.

What’s up this week?

Friday we’re putting on the Song of Pueblo at PCC’s Hoag Theater again at 7:00.  We’re making a few adjustments to make the show even better, so you’ve never seen it quite like this.  This is such a great history to put on, and I really hope you’ll see it even if you’ve been before.  Tickets are $15 and are available at the Visitor Information Center, 301 North Union, 719-543-2430.  You can call to reserve tickets and they’ll be waiting for you at the show.

Saturday I’m playing lunch at 8 Mile Bar and Grill up by the Royal Gorge 11:45 to 1:45.  This is the second of only two shows I’m doing at 8 Mile, so if you’ve wanted to come out there this year you’d better come out this Saturday.  I love the food and outdoor atmosphere.

Sunday I have the last of my Boy Scout rafting shows for the boys and girls headed to Philmont for the summer.  I’ve enjoyed these groups so much this summer, and I’m always sorry to see them go.

That’s it for this week.  I don’t list my Alzheimer’s, rehab, and nursing gigs for the week, but I do see some of you visiting friends and relatives at these facilities, and there are big events for them that I don’t talk about much in my blog.  Know that I love doing these gigs and feel privileged to play for these fine folks.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch with Johnny Watson, David Enke, & Alan Polivka
What:  playing, singing, & telling the history of Pueblo at the Song of Pueblo oratorio
Where:  Hoag Theater, Pueblo Community College, Orman and Arthur, Pueblo.  719-543-2430 for tickets
When:  Friday, July 24, 7:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  8 Mile Bar and Grill, 45000 W. US Hwy 50, Cañon City.  (719) 275-1558
When:  Saturday, July 25, 11:45 am to 1:45 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment