Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Experiences that Shape Us

I’m playing a concert at Philmont Scout Ranch this Saturday as well as spending time with family in the mountains over the weekend, and it has me thinking about those experiences in our formative years that shape who we are. I was lucky enough to get to spend time in the mountains as a child as well as work in the mountains in high school and college, and it affected me in ways that are still a huge part of me. I think the first time I saw those peaks and valleys I was enchanted by the rugged beauty and the stark wildness and even danger they presented. They made me feel small, and yet somehow I soared at the thought of being in them in forest thunderstorms and windswept passes. There was just something timeless and knowing about them. I felt challenged by them and alive. Even through all the years and the other changes that have occurred in my life, that early experience with something greater than myself that was forged by nature and the forces of the universe gave me a respect and awe that lingers in my mind always.  It reminds me that I am part of this majesty and wonder. This among many other things has shaped me into who I am still today.

What happened last week?

The online concert last Thursday was more than I could have hoped for!  So many wonderful people from so many chapters of my life checked in and said “Hello!” - friends from childhood, college, Philmont, the Don K Guest Ranch, Pueblo, Philmont, the Pueblo West Inn, La Veta, family, and many more.  I had some great requests, and it was good to hear from people I haven't seen in years.  You can bet I’ll be doing again soon. I may have to revolve each night around a certain theme or a certain group so we can dover more ground.  Then Monday (yesterday) I had a great time meeting new friends and recording a couple more original guitar tunes in the studio with Don Richmond.

What’s up this week?

Saturday night at 8:00 I'm playing a concert at Philmont Scout Ranch for the annual staff reunion down there. It's always a great time, and I get to meet new current staffers as well as old friends who are out for the reunion. It's an honor to get to play, and if any of you Philmont folks are attending the reunion or on staff I'd love to have you in my audience. Sunday I'm playing for a memorial in Cuchara for one of the kind folks who used to come hear me play at the Yellow Pine Guest Ranch. It'll be a somber occasion, but hopefully my music will serve the event well. 

That's all for this week. I sincerely hope you're enjoying you're summer. 

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing at concert at Philmont Scout Ranch
Where:  Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, NM

No comments:

Post a Comment