Monday, February 1, 2016

What Makes Us Who We Are?

I spent last weekend and the weekend before going through stuff at my mom's house and then going through the boxes of toys and papers I brought back, and it's really amazing what triggers memory and reaction. Countless times I would run across a piece of a toy or a discarded note that would bring back some fleeting feeling from 50 years ago. It was uncanny the way I would react as if time hadn't passed. And as I paged through my early life I was reminded of how I changed over the years and of what things influenced me. There was joy and pain, achievements and guilt, and reminders of friends and watershed events. So many things stay with me from those times, and yet I also changed and made definite path choices as I reached adulthood. I believe that I choose every morning the kind of person I will be, but it's heartening to see that I carry the things that formed me close at hand as well, and it's thrilling to know that those memories are still there - just waiting to awakened. Now, anyone want some old Hot Wheels accessories?

What have I been up to the last few weeks?

Magpies was a blast the last time out. Lots of good friends were there, and we did dive into the oldies a bit that I had talked about. I love doing those old tunes, and I'm finding that there are less people I can sing them to every day. Then the wedding I talked about playing "Carry On" at was beautiful and went off without a hitch, no pun intended. Congrats again, Briana!

What am I up to this week?

Friday I'm back at Magpies 7-10 for what should be a good time. I'm not sure what I'll sing - maybe love songs with Valentines Day coming up. Either way I look forward to it. I've been doing more energetic songs lately for some of my facilities, so maybe we'll do some rock and soul.

What's in the plan for the year?

My instrumental album is coming along. I need to put together the artwork and finish the mastering, but it sounds pretty good, and I'm proud of what I wrote.

I won't be booking quite as much this year since I need to travel to Nebraska regularly to finish up my mom's estate, but I do have some interesting gigs I hope to pick up. I will be doing several Song of Pueblo shows at the Sangre de Cristo Arts Center in April that should be great. I'm hoping to talk to the new owner at the La Veta Inn about playing there. Hopefully I'll be back at the Yellow Pine, and I will be playing for the scouts traveling to Philmont again. In addition I have a new contact in the Springs that may see me more often playing up there. There will be a few festival and concert gigs I'll be telling you about as we approach the summer. It's all good, and I look forward to it. I'll probably be doing another online concert from my living room at some point too.

That's about it for this week.  Come on out if you can. I love to play for you and share a good time.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  Magpies, 229 S. Union, Pueblo.  719-542-5522
When:  Friday, February 5, 7-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment