Monday, July 25, 2016

Taking My Own Advice

I always try to be upbeat and positive in my weekly missives, but the truth is that I struggle sometimes to be in a good frame of mind, and I also struggle to come up with good things to write. I like to practice being loving and joyful, but this year has been a bit rough at times, and sometimes I just long to relax and zone out. So I usually write this paragraph of my blog last as I come up with what to write in a proper state of mind. Funny thing, as I write what I've been up to and where I'm headed I realize how lucky I am - doing what I do and where I do - I find that my attitude changes and I discover new energy and joy. It doesn't mean that I won't have low points in my day where everything catches up with me, but it does mean that I know where I'm bound and what I'm here for, and those worries can be dealt with or left behind. I'm here for joy and love and to experience this life to the fullest!

And this week I’m trying to do something to counter the ill-feelings in the world. Each day I’m trying to do two acts of kindness - one to someone else and one to myself.  These are outside my normal routine where I try to be kind to people and myself. Just open a door or let someone go first in a way that expresses kindness, and take yourself to a movie or do something special for yourself. I think it’s a worthy way to try and improve the world.  Will you try it with me?

What I have been up to?

Last week was great - so many kind people and sweet places to play.

Thursday was the Yellow Pine, and we went late playing all kinds of songs and sharing stories. There are such fine people there.

Friday I picked up a last-minute wedding rehearsal dinner for the couple I played the wedding for on Saturday. It was so clever with a sweets theme with all kinds of candy treats, custom popcorn, and fish fortunes. It was a blast!

Saturday I played at Francisco Fort in La Veta for Francisco Fort Day, and it turned into a couple hours of historical songs. I was totally open for whatever happened, and that's what the crowd wanted, so I played old songs and told anecdotes about where the songs came from and who wrote them. I love doing that!

Saturday was also the aforementioned wedding in Cuchara. It was a beautiful and fun service in the chapel with smiling children, teary adults, and lots of love. Congrats, Nadia and Rob!

What's up this week?

Thursday is the Yellow Pine Barbecue 6:30-8:30 in Cuchara again. I always say how much I love playing this gig, but you have to be there to appreciate it. The old barn and the barbecue is amazing. There's even a great small floor for kicking up your heels if you fell so inclined. If you'd like to be there, call 719-742-3528 to make a reservation by Tuesday evening.

Friday I have a private backyard party for the mother of the bride from last week's wedding that I'm playing with a couple folks from La Veta - Dennis Mills and Trudy Price. This should be great fun. I wish I could invite you all!

Saturday I have a private party for Target warehouse in Pueblo. These are great folks and friends I've gotten to work with and play for in the past, including the folks who volunteer to help with the Senior Safari at the Pueblo Zoo each year from Target. I'm looking forward to it!

That's it for now. Hope you all have a good week!

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 28, 6:30-8:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment