Monday, August 1, 2016

Thinking of a New Guitar

I've been trying to simplify my setup and start to pare down equipment (a consequence of realizing how much stuff my mom had and seeing how much I have), and this is leading me to buy a simpler guitar - at least one with less peripheral equipment. How is that worth a paragraph on my weekly missive? Well, each guitar has its own voice and feel that actually influences how I play and how I'm inspired. I know that may sound kind of odd, but it's true. There is an interaction and even a joy to playing some instruments that really does contribute to how I play. Sometimes it's the feel of the woodgrain on the neck or the fit of the shape against my body. Sometimes it's just the responsiveness of the instrument in volume and dynamics. Anyway it does make a difference that is real and noticeable. So what am I looking at? Actually a couple of Martin guitars. My first real guitar was a Martin, and I've owned a few others over the years. They've never been the best for me, but have always been workhorse guitars that did everything I asked of them. The ones I'm looking at have a sophisticated pickup system that incorporates the outboard gear I've been using for the past few years right into the guitar, and this should make my life easier - especially when playing in new locations or on different systems. Anyway, that's what I'm looking at. I'll let you know if I make the jump.

What have been up to?

Last week was a good one. Lots of friends and fans.

Thursday was Yellow Pine with friends I hadn't seen in years, Diana and Scott, coming down from up north with their kids and lots of other familiar faces. Beautiful night with even some sweet-smelling rain.

Friday was a backyard party that was way too much fun playing with Dennis and Trudy. There was even some rain there too, but it only added to the party atmosphere of the night. Thanks, Carolyn!

Saturday was playing for a Target 30-year anniversary that was really neat. Lots of prizes and smiles all around. It was great, Lauri and Ray!

What am I up to this week?

Thursday 6:30-8:30 is the Yellow Pine barbecue again, and I'm starting to miss it already because this week and next week are the last two weeks of the barbecue season. I will savor these last two times. It's always special and so enjoyable. If you'd like to be part of these last two, please call 719-742-3528 by Tuesday evening for a reservation. Seating is limited.

Saturday at 7:00 I'll be doing a special solo show of the Song of Pueblo in Cuchara at the Community Center. I'll have a couple native drummers to assist with me atmosphere and drumming on "Death at Sand Creek".  I've always thought I could do a great intimate solo show of this piece, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how engaging it has sounded in practice. I'd love to have you there. It's a benefit for the fire auxiliary in Cuchara.

Sunday I'll be playing with the Atomic Fireballs at the Royal Gorge Bridge 12:30-4:30. I had so much fun with them last time, and I'm sure this will be right in line. There's something so magical about playing music on the rim of that canyon, and of course I have a history up there of 30 years of playing so that it will always hold a place in my heart. Come on out!

That's it for this week. I hope your summer is rounding out nicely and that you're being good to yourself and others in this contentious election year.

Best always,

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbeque
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, August 4, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing, singing, & telling the history of Pueblo at the Song of Pueblo oratorio
Where:  Cuchara Community Center, Cuchara.
When:  Saturday, August 6, 7:00 pm

Who: Tom Munch and the Atomic Fireballs
What: playing and singing
Where: South side of the Royal Gorge at the Royal Gorge Bridge on the stage just off the bridge
When: Sunday , August 7, 12:30 am-4:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment