Sunday, July 14, 2013

Blessed Rain!


As I'm writing this it is raining all around - not here yet, but soon - I can FEEL it!  I love the rain!  I have so many great memories of being holed up somewhere with the rain coming down outside - from high in the mountains in a cabin to sitting on a big porch in college or sleeping in a tent.  The smell and the chill and the rebirth that rain represents is a blessed event.  It is literally new life falling from the heavens.  Of course it brings misery sometimes in the form of flooding and muddy muck that's hard to drive or even walk in.  I can remember walking in the darkness down a muddy road at night with the trebled weight of the earth clinging to the soles of my boots.  But it is nothing but a godsend to the dry land around these parts, and I welcome it tonight.  One of my favorite memories is playing cards in a cabin with the rain falling on the tin roof drumming a soothing and mesmerizing rhythm that lulled me and made everything seem right with the world.  Ahhhh…I do LOVE the rain!

So what's up this week?

Monday I'm heading down to New Mexico to play a concert at Philmont Scout Ranch.  I wrote about this last week as well, and now that I have put together my setlists and made my preparations I am even more excited.  I have put together a list of songs and stories that just thrill me to be able to play!  I just know it will go by too fast, and I want to savor every moment.  If you're around Philmont tomorrow night I'll be in the Staff Activities Center (SAC) Baldy Pavilion at Camping Headquarters from 8-10.  If it rains I'm sure we'll be indoors nearby, so just look for the activity and listen for the music and come join us!

Thursday I'm back at the Yellow Pine for the barbecue 6:30-8:30.  Last week we had to cancel due to a mixup with the guests at the ranch, but this week will hopefully go off without a hitch.  My apologies if you had booked last week and then had it cancelled.  Call 719-742-3528 to make a reservation by Tuesday night if you want to come.

Hey - I can hear the rain coming down outside now!

Friday I'm at the La Veta Inn 6-9ish.  We had another great outing last week with some fine folks and good friends at the Inn.  Wow! Just wow!

Saturday night I'm playing with the Atomic Fireballs under the name "Midnight Rain" for the Westcliffe Stampede rodeo dance 9-1.  We chose this name years ago to play under at this event, and it has stuck all these years.  The rodeo dance has to be experienced to be believed.  All the unused energy from the rodeo gets poured out on the dance floor in a flurry of dancing and frivolity that is just a gas.  We give it a shove and start the pandemonium and then ride the wave for the rest of the night.  It's a heckuva time!  Come on out if you can.

That's it for this week.  Well, I have most of my regular Alzheimer's and nursing gigs as well as another show for the rafting scouts on Sunday, but that's another story.  I hope to see you soon!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing a singing a concert for staff and alumni
Where:  Staff Activities Center, Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, New Mexico
When:  Monday, July 15, 8-10 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 18, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, July 19, 6-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch & the Atomic Fireballs
What:  playing for the Westcliffe Stampede rodeo dance
Where:  Westcliffe Rodeo Grounds (north of town)
When:  Saturday, July 20, 9 pm - 1 am

No comments:

Post a Comment