Monday, July 22, 2013

Seeing Family


I don't know how your summers usually go, but this is the time of the year that my family converges on the mountains, and I try to steal a few days out of my schedule to cram in a quick visit.  I always wish I had more time, but that's never how it turns out for me since the summer is my busiest time.  Still, I love to see how much the kids have grown (they're all mostly adults now) and find out how everyone's year is going.  They usually go on great hikes and day trips that I miss out on, but I get to sing a few songs with them and reminisce a bit over a day or two that I cherish and look forward to.  I'm sure some of you do similar things in the summer.

Last week's concert at Philmont was a wonderful time full of old friends and new faces and shared memories.  I was lucky to get to see so many friendly faces.  And later in the week I got a surprise from an old friend from Georgia who shocked me with a visit and also with attending my gig in La Veta and the dance with the band on Saturday night in Westcliffe.  On top of that I got to have a good visit with Texas songwriter Vince Bell whose music I love.  You may have heard a few tunes of his that Lyle Lovett recorded a couple albums back.  What a week!

And this upcoming week will have some great surprises as well!

Thursday I'm at the Yellow Pine for the barbecue 6:30-8:30.  Last week we were finally able to have an outdoor fire where the guests could roast marshmallows and make s'mores, so I made a s'more for the first time in many, many years.  It was fun and tasted pretty good!  If you'd like to come to the barbecue, call 719-742-3528 by Wednesday to make a reservation.  It's always a good time in the old barn.

Friday we're doing the Song of Pueblo oratorio at El Pueblo History Museum starting at 7:00.  I always look forward to doing this show and reconnecting with the local history in such a meaningful way.  If you've never seen it or want to see the changes we've made for this year, please come out.  I'd suggest getting tickets or at least reserving them at El Pueblo in case it's sold out - 719-583-0453 / 301 N. Union, Pueblo.

Saturday I'm back at the La Veta Inn 6-9.  Last week we got rained out on the patio after an hour, but we had a marvelous time sharing songs and watching the rain out the window in the rustic restaurant.  I even had my friend from Georgia (Rick Jordan) do a couple numbers that knocked the socks off everybody.  Come on out if you're in the area.

So y'all have a good week, and I hope to see you soon!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 25, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch with Johnny Watson, David Enke, & Linda Amman
What:  playing, singing, & telling the history of Pueblo at the Song of Pueblo oratorio
Where:  El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union, Pueblo.  719-583-0453
When:  Friday, July 26, 7:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Saturday, July 27, 6-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment