Monday, July 8, 2013

Yearning for the Mountains


It's that time of year when I really yearn for the mountains.  It has been a blessing and (I suppose) a curse ever since I was a very young boy.  I inherited my love of mountains from my grandfather and my mother for sure.  They spent summers starting in 1930 working in the mountains of New Mexico - seeking the cooler temperatures and scarcity of mosquitoes and snakes - unlike their home in Oklahoma.  My mom even used to guide horse trips way up into the mountain lakes around Mt. Wheeler.  When I was young we spent quite a bit of time in these mountains either hiking or exploring in my granddad's Jeep or my dad's Bronco.  (We even drove over a lot of old Colorado passes in my folks' 1960 Ford station wagon when I was an infant.)  I can tell you stories of sleeping in tube-tents at timberline at Bull-of-the-Woods or even climbing to the top of Baldy Mountain when I was but 6 or 7 years old.  The smell of the trees, the sound of the marmots or the wind in the aspen leaves, and the feel of the breeze on a mountaintop thus became part of my soul early on in ways that I cannot explain or understand.  When I reached my teens I got to work in the mountains at Philmont Scout Ranch - teaching backpacking and hiking in many breathtaking places.  As a young man in Colorado I explored many places west of Pueblo.  When Jen and I were first together we always had some sort of four-wheel-drive vehicle we could get into the high country in, and we hiked a lot of passes and beautiful spots.  But we have let go of the four-wheeling for practicality's sake mostly in recent years - it's expensive to either have a third vehicle for four-wheeling or to have one of our two main vehicles be a rugged, gas-eating machine.  That said, our feet and legs still work just fine for hiking, so we make time to get out and enjoy the wild lands - not as much as we might like, but we still know the value of the spirit of the mountains and their rejuvenating elixir.

So how about you?  Do you yearn for the mountains and the wild places?

And where does this week take me for gigs?

Wednesday I'll be sharing history and songs for a Boy Scout group from Pennsylvania after they raft the Royal Gorge at Echo Canyon Rafting at 5:30.  This is a private gig, but if you happen to be at Echo Canyon you can listen in from the porch in the front.

Thursday I'm back at the Yellow Pine in Cuchara for the barbecue at 6:30 after a week off for Independence Day.  I so enjoy these weekly barbecues and the fine folks who come out to the old barn for a night of barbecue and music.  It's a great time which you can be part of if you'd like.  Just call 719-742-3528 by Monday night on the week you'd like to attend to make reservations.  (I realize this is a little late for this week, but Jo Anne might still take your reservation if you call now!)

Friday I'm back at the La Veta Inn 6-9.  We've lucked out and been able to be on the patio almost every week, and it has been spectacular!  If you're in the area I'd love to have you there!

Saturday I have another session with a rafting group at Echo Canyon.

Sunday I'm back at brunch at Shadow Hills 10-1.  We had another great group of folks last week, and I even had a friend I hadn't seen in 30 years from college stop in to say "Hi!"  What a treat!

Sunday I also have a group of rafting scouts in the evening at Echo Canyon.

Monday (a week early, I know, but this is important) I have a special concert at Philmont Scout Ranch in the Staff Activities Center (SAC) at Camping Headquarters at 8:00.  I really enjoy getting to play for the staff at Philmont and share old memories, and this year will be doubly special because it's during the annual reunion week for alumni staffers as well, and there are several folks coming who are dear friends and musicians to boot!  It will surely be a night to celebrate and remember!

So it's quite a full week ahead, and I'm looking forward to it!  Be well, and I hope to see you somewhere down the road.  Life is good!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 11, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, July 12, 6-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What: playing and singing for brunch
Where:  Shadow Hills Golf Course, 1232 County Rd 143, Canon City.  719-275-0603
When:  Sunday, July 14, 10 am-1 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing a singing a concert for staff and alumni
Where:  Staff Activities Center, Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, New Mexico
When:  Monday, July 15, 8-10 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment