Monday, September 9, 2013

Landing Softly at the Dunes and in Life


Jen and I took a trip over to the San Luis Valley to see the sand dunes at the Great Sand Dunes National Monument today. We walked around for a while on the dunes as we've done before, and it always amazes me how striking and beautiful they are. It also strikes me how difficult it is to walk in sand - particularly on a slope. The trick is to land your foot flat and without too much force so you don't break the crust of the sand. Then when you push off you also want to push with your whole foot if possible and without too much force. It occurred to me that the harder I pushed, the harder it was to walk, and that of course made me think about life and how this can apply. The more we rage around and push against each other and against the world the harder life becomes. The key is to keep moving forward with grace and a smooth flow that balances the forces that pull and push at us. Yeah, it's not the greatest insight in the world, but it kept me pondering as I walked over the dunes this afternoon.

Now to get the rest of the sand out of my shoes!

So what am I up to this week?

Wednesday I'm playing the Senior Safari at the Pueblo Zoo 10:30-1. This is a wonderful annual event during Senior Week that I play every year. It's free admission for seniors, and the Safari features special animals, pizza, bingo, and my music in the Mandari Pavilion. It's always a blast and is very well attended.

Friday I'm at the La Veta Inn 6-9. We had another beautiful night last week with some really nice folks. The song "There Is a Time" by the Andy Griffith Show band, the Darlings, came up as a request. I didn't remember it, but a quick check on the internet revealed that the Darlings were actually the bluegrass band, The Dillards, with a couple actors thrown in to round out the family for the Andy Griffith Show. "There Is a Time" is a wonderful song, especially for the fall season, so you can bet I've learned it and am performing it now.

Saturday I've been asked to play a slot from 1-2 at the High Peaks Music Festival in Westcliffe since another performer had to cancel. I'm honored to play it. This is at the Feed Store Amphitheater where I did a concert in June. I'm doubly honored by getting to follow the Great Pete and Joan Wernick. You will remember Pete if you were ever a fan of Hot Rize or Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers. Pete played banjo and the electric table (lap steel) in those respective bands, and is a heck of a player. I haven't heard his show with Joan, but I'll bet it's amazing! Also featured will be Dakota Blonde, Smythe and Taylor, The Rejuveniles, and Gadbaw and Krimmel. This is fine company! There are more details at the festival website - http://www.kwmv.org/high-peaks-music-festival.aspx. Please come if you can.

That's it for this week. Hope to see you soon!

Tom

Details this week:

Who: Tom Munch
What: playing and singing for Senior Safari
Where: Pueblo Zoo, City Park, Pueblo. 719-561-1452
When: Wednesday, September 11, 10:30 am - 1 pm

Who: Tom Munch
What: playing & singing
Where: La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta. 719-742-3700
When: Friday, September 13, 6-9 pm

Who: Tom Munch
What: playing and singing at High Peaks Music Festival
Where: The Feed Store Amphitheater, 116 North 2nd Street, Westcliffe. 719-783-2771
When: Saturday, September 14, 1-2 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment