Monday, September 16, 2013

Sameness and Surprise


I find myself thinking about the things I like in life this morning, and it occurs to me how funny the differences in those things can be.  On one hand I've been liking the same things for decades - Pace brand salsa, popcorn, and bologna sandwiches.  On the other hand I love music that has surprises in it - melodies that go where you don't expect them to - and spontaneous twists in the day that delight and make me smile.  I like the same routines and even cling to them - like the way I brush my teeth and other mundane tasks I do every day.  There is a comfort to knowing what to expect and when to expect it.  This even opens up space for me to think while I'm doing something else that I'm so used to.  But then again I love to switch things up just to experience life in a new way - even if it's as small as a slight change in routine.  Tasting a new taste or smelling a new smell in nature is a thrill as well, and can take me out of myself completely sometimes.  So why is this that sameness is a comfort sometimes, and yet there is a craving for new things that surprise and delight?  I'm not really sure as I write this, but I'm glad that life can have these different aspects that warm and delight us.  That's what's on my mind this morning.  Now on to the week ahead.

Before I tell you what I have on tap this week, I have to say how much fun I had at the High Peaks Music Festival last Saturday in Westcliffe.  I don't play festivals that much - partly from fear of rejection and partly from lacking ambition to pursue them, but this one was absolutely fulfilling and wonderful!  The folks were so nice - the audience, other performers, and the organizers, and the weather was perfect too.  I had a blast!

So on to the week ahead.  I have two great gigs to tell you about.

Thursday night we will have a special performance of the Song of Pueblo as part of the opening of the special exhibit, "Children of Ludlow: Life in a Battle Zone, 1913-1914" at El Pueblo History Museum.  This is the 100-year anniversary of the events at Ludlow that affected so many in our area and nation.  The free opening reception of the exhibit runs from 5-8, and our performance of Song of Pueblo starts at 8.  You can read more about it on the Pueblo Chieftain article here - http://www.chieftain.com/life/community/1810066-120/ludlow-strike-photo-colorado.

Friday I'm at the La Veta Inn for the last performance of this season 6-9.  It was too cold to stay out on the patio last Friday, so we moved inside after the first hour.  I had some really fine folks, and I'm sure this Friday will be just as special.  Please come out if you can.

That's it for this week.  Next week I don't have any public gigs scheduled, so I won't write unless something comes up.

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch with Johnny Watson, David Enke, & Linda Amman
What:  playing, singing, & telling the history of Pueblo at the Song of Pueblo oratorio
Where:  El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union, Pueblo.  719-583-0453
When:  Thursday, September 19, 8:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, September 20, 6-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment