Monday, June 16, 2014

Longing for the Wild Places

As I’m running around like crazy and wondering where the days go, I keep coming back to images I have in my mind or in my picture collection of the wild places I have loved over the years.  The wild places have always represented peace and serenity in a way that is hard to explain.  They’re timeless, powerful, stark, and beautiful.  They soothe my soul and make me realize just how small a part of the universe I am, but that also I AM a part of that universe.  I’m not only made of the stuff the universe is made from, but I also seem to have the soul of the universe within me.  That seems odd, I know, but when I am in the wild places I feel at home and a part of everything.  When I was a kid I wrote a song that talked about my feeling related to the rocks, the flowers, and the trees.  This is almost a Native American understanding of the world, but I don’t think it’s altogether untrue.  I do share an existence with the rocks and trees, and in many ways we are dependent upon each other for our survival and continuation.  And I guess there must be something in this that I tune into when I am in the wild places, and that’s why I feel so peaceful and at home there.  I’m sure there is much more to it, but that is what comes to me this morning.

So onward and upward.  Where am I this week?

First, I won’t be at the Yellow Pine for the weekly barbecue.  They have a private group that rented out the whole ranch.  We had a great group to start out the season last week, with many staying late and dancing as well as sharing many songs and stories.  I even had a gal who is great singer and DJ from Oklahoma named Tish Agee sit in.  Those of you from the Oklahoma City area may know her as Tracy Thomas.  You may hear me on the Oklahoma Opry as a result of that contact in the future.  Anyway, the barbecue goes weekly (except this week) until mid-August, and if you’d like to come you need to make a reservation with the Yellow Pine at (719) 742-3528.

Friday I will be at the La Veta Inn 6-9.  The Inn is undergoing a management change, and so is in a little state of flux for a few weeks as they work through the changes.  It looks like the future will be bright, and I’m looking forward to being part of it.  The food is great and the place is being spiffed up, so it is a good place to be!

Saturday I have a new/old venue to introduce you to.  It’s a place I’ve been playing for a few years as part of the Boy Scout rafting trips I’ve been playing private dinners for, but it’s new to you as a place I play.  The place is the 8 Mile Bar and Grill at Echo Canyon Rafting on the north side of Highway 50 near the entrance to the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park.  They have a really nice indoor/outdoor cafe that I think you’ll like.  If you want to know more about it, visit http://www.raftecho.com/8-mile-bar-grill.  I play 5:30-7:30, so please come out if you can.

Also, we are having a special concert of the Song of Pueblo oratorio next week on Wednesday at El Pueblo History Museum to debut our new song, "Bojon Town" about the Slovenian community in Pueblo.  This is a wonderful song that really celebrates the Slovenian community, and our new accordionist, Alan Polivka, really does it up well, so come on out if you can.  Call the museum for tickets - (719) 583-0453.

That’s it for this week.  I hope you are enjoying your summer, and I hope you are getting out into the wild places.

Best always,

Tom

Details:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  (719) 742-3700
When:  Friday, June 20, 6-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing
Where:  8 Mile Bar and Grill, 45000 W. US Hwy 50, Cañon City.  (719) 275-1558
When:  Saturday, June 21, 5:30-7:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment