Monday, June 2, 2014

Travels

Well, I'm back from travels to Arizona last weekend, and it was another experiment in life on the road.  We did some things right - new friends, great times with old friends, great gigs, cool travel stops, and some things wrong - too many burgers, not enough sleep, not enough exercise.

First the things done right.  We met so many great people - from members of the Cowboy Artists Association, to great guitar pickers and singers, to Navajo artisans, and to the families I got to spend time with playing at the wedding reception on Saturday.  We got to see old friends - Steve and Ann, Deb and John, Jan and Corey - what great fun it was to reconnect with you all!  I had two great gigs - the house concert at Steve and Ann's that was more fun than I could have imagined, and the wedding reception with some young folks who really have it together and are off to a great start.  We also had some cool travel stops - seeing the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert for the first time in many years, seeing Canyon de Chelley which I've wanted to do for my whole life, and seeing Mesa Verde again for the first time in many years, and then making the drive over the San Juans which never cease to amaze me with their sheer awesome beauty.

Then the things done wrong.  It is so hard to eat right on the road.  Sometimes we take a cooler with a bunch of fruit and veggies to munch on as we roll along, but this trip we didn't, and that means we were at the mercy of the fast-food gods, and they don't treat you very well even if you're trying to think healthy.  I know we can lick this (no pun intended.)  Then it is so hard to sleep well on the road.  Different beds in different rooms with strange noises (even though we travel with a white-noise app to mask the sounds) can really lead to some short nights.  Driving late or playing late doesn't help this, but I'm sure we could get a rhythm if we were disciplined.  Lastly not enough exercise.  I do travel with weights and an exercise mat so I can do 45 minutes or so every morning, but sometimes sleep is more important than exercise (or it seems so anyway.)  I did get a couple days in, and we did do quite a bit of walking a couple days, but I know this is something we can improve on.

But all in all the travels were good, and I'm so thankful to all who helped make them successful!

So I'm back in town for a while and raring to go!  What's up this week?

Thursday I have a new gig that is the spiritual successor to Music and Munchin' on Main.  It's called "City Center Eats," and it's going to be at El Pueblo History Museum outdoor plaza at 301 North Union in Pueblo from 11:00 to 2:00.  They'll have several food trucks there with great food, and I'll be providing the music, so come on down!

Then Sunday I'm doing the very special Summer in the Park series 2-5 at the Feed Store Park in Westcliffe.  This is a beautiful outdoor amphitheater where they do a series of talented performers all summer.  It's outdoors, so dress for the weather (hot or cold) and bring a comfortable chair (there are some chairs there as well if you forget.)  The Feed Store is at the west end of the main drag, and just a block or so north.  I have had some very memorable shows there in the past couple of years, and I expect this one to be too!  There's more info here - http://www.westcliffefeedstore.com/the-park/.

So that's it for this week.  There are so many great places to play this summer, and so many wonderful people to see, so come on out if you can!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  City Center Eats at El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union
When:  Thursday, June 5, 11:00 am - 2:00 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing a concert in the mountains
Where:  The Feed Store Amphitheater, 116 North 2nd Street, Westcliffe.  719-783-2771
When:  Sunday, June 8, 2-5 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment