Monday, June 9, 2014

Taking Time for What Really Matters

Things are getting crazy, and I have to thank our little cat, Nisi (pronounced nee-see), for my topic this week.  As I was scrambling around this morning, she demanded that I hold her and pet her.  She won’t accept “No!” for an answer, and she also wants my full attention while I'm petting her or else she’ll bite me.  That sounds kind of extreme, but it’s also kind of a relief to be forced to put down my angst and preoccupations for a few minutes.  I guess you could say it’s even a little like meditation.  And showing love to another on this old world is what really matters in the end, isn’t it?  So I chuckled and picked her up and held her and stroked her and talked to her for several minutes.  When she finally got down she must have thought I needed more, because a minute later she got back up on my desk and climbed in my arms again.  Nice to know that even our pets care for us - even if it may seem that it’s just for them in the moment.  So as this summer gets crazy I will endeavor to remember the things that really matter - family, friends, pets, and slowing down to spend time on those things.  I hope you can do the same.

And that brings me to my weekly gigs.  I have a full slate as the summer ramps up.

Wednesday I will be playing a fun event called Sip, Savor, and Stroll from 5-7 in the Sister’s Courtyard in the shopping center between Elizabeth and Greenwood on 5th Street in Pueblo.  This is a Downtown Association event featuring 80/Twenty Wines, The Wine Gear Store, Springside Cheese, and Sister’s Courtyard and Tea Room, and will feature wine, chocolate, and cheese tastings, along with other specialties.  It should be a blast!  Come on out if you can.

Thursday I start the summer season playing the barbecue 6:30-8:30 at the Yellow Pine Guest Ranch in Cuchara.  I have been playing the weekly summer barbecue at the Yellow Pine since 2001, and it is one of my most enjoyable gigs - held in an old rustic barn that just oozes with old-Colorado history.  (The drive up the Cuchara Valley is the worth it alone!)  It’s Texas-style barbecue with chicken, brisket, ribs, corn on the cob, potato salad, tossed salad, rolls. lemonade, sweet tea, and homemade peach cobbler and s’mores (around the campfire out back) for dessert along with my music.  Sometimes we open up the floor for a little two-stepping after dinner.  It’s great fun and usually packs out.  If you want to be part of it you need to reserve early, usually a week in advance at least - (719) 742-3528.   Sometimes you can sneak in if they have room, but you have to at least let them know by Monday of the week you want to go, as they base their cooking on how many have reserved.  If you can make it, I think you’d really enjoy it!

Friday I’m back at the La Veta Inn 6-9, hopefully on the beautiful patio.  They didn’t get open last week in time for the weekend, so I had to cancel, but hopefully everything will be up and running this week.  I’ll let you know if I hear that it won’t be as soon as I know.  This is a wonderful place where I’ve spent some beautiful evenings on the patio enjoying the company of good friends, music, and memories.

Saturday I have off, although I may go to a house concert at the home of David Enke in La Veta for Don Conoscenti.  DonCon is from Taos and one heck of a player, and he is a treat to see.  The show is at 7 at David’s house - 722 E. Francisco in La Veta with a price of $15 at the door.  Clips of DonCon’s music are on his website - http://donconoscenti.com.

Sunday I’m playing a private party for some friends in Pueblo West that will be a lot of fun as well.  I’m looking forward to it!

That’s it for this week.  Check my calendar on my website - http:/tommunch.com - for dates further out than that.

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing for Sip, Savor, and Stroll
Where:  Sister’s Courtyard, 517 W. 5th, Pueblo.  (719) 543-9463
When:  Wednesday, June 11, 5-7 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, June 12, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, June 13, 6-9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment