Monday, July 14, 2014

Maintenance and Finality

We had a ferocious thunderstorm late last night that tore branches off our big tree, washed out our road, and exposed a sprinkler leak. So this morning and early afternoon we had work to do - moving branches, moving dirt and rock, and cutting sod and repairing leaks. It wasn't what I had planned to do with half of my partial day off, and it got me thinking about my attitude toward maintenance in life. I tend to get annoyed by things wearing out and requiring tending to, preferring to fix them once and be done with them for good. But that's a little crazy. Yes, doing the mundane maintaining of our things in life can get old, but I seem to have this idea that I can have some permanence that will last, and I think I am missing the point of the joy in the simple things of life. I wrote a couple weeks ago of how a chore can actually be meditative. There's also a little of the "journey is more important than the goal" that I'm missing as well. It really is true that often the journey is what we remember fondly, and the goal is not as (insert superlative) as we expected.  I'm also missing the fact that everything in life changes even though we seem to think that there is permanence. I wonder if even in old age we have the wisdom to see that this isn't so. People pass on, buildings fall, and rivers change their course. In the end I know that I really enjoy the process, the journey, and the change, so why do I continue to entertain the thoughts of permanence? When I figure it all out I'll let you know.

First of all let me tell you how wonderful the past week was. I figure I'm always telling you about the week to come with glowing encouragement, but then I'm not telling you how the events turn out. The wedding reception I played on Monday outside in CaƱon City was beautiful. It was at the old Robison Mansion on the lawn. There was plenty of shade, and it was just one of those storybook events that are a pleasure to be a part of - big trees, beautiful clothes, and perfect weather. Thursday night at the Yellow Pine was just full of spirit and fire - good folks and music, and a good vibe all evening. What a pleasure it was! Then I got to spend a couple days at our family cabins in New Mexico seeing my family while I played first at Red River at the top of the ski area on the deck at lunchtime Saturday to a crowd of stellar folks while we enjoyed a light sprinkle and views of the high alpine country of New Mexico. It was pretty sweet! Then I had what I'm calling "one of the most magical evenings of my life" at Philmont Scout Ranch Saturday evening playing a concert for current and past staff members. The energy was just perfect, and the mountain songs were pouring out of me along with stories and memories from a lifetime of mountain adventures. Sunday night I got to play to some very special new and old friends at 8 Mile as the evening descended on a beautiful day. It was quite a week!

So what does this week bring? Plenty!

Thursday night I'm back at the Yellow Pine 6:30-8:30 for the barbecue. Each week brings more new and old friends in this rustic barn in this is remarkable place. It's full of community spirit and fun. I'd love to have you be part of it. Call (719) 742-3528 for reservations.

Friday I'm back at the La Veta Inn 6-9 on the patio (hopefully.) I can't say enough about how special this place has been over the years. I expect this Friday to be another banner night.

Saturday I get to play with a band at the Westcliffe Stampede Rodeo Dance 9-1. This is one crazy night full of dancing and fun music, and I get to be the lead player (sharing duties with Matt Kouba.) If you've never been to a rodeo dance in Colorado, this is the one to see and be part of!

Sunday I've been asked to do another concert 2-5 for the Summer in the Park series at the Feedstore Restaurant Park in Westcliffe. The one I played in June got mostly blown out and rained on if you remember, so they've asked me to give it another go, and I love this venue and am ready to tear it up again! If you can make it I'll promise you a good time. Bring a lawn chair. There'll be refreshments available, and if you come early you can have a wonderful lunch or brunch at the Feedstore Restaurant just up the hill.

So you can see what a fun week I have in store. I hope to see you!

Tom

Details this week:

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing at the Barbecue
Where:  Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719-742-3528
When:  Thursday, July 17, 6:30-8:30 pm

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing & singing
Where:  La Veta Inn, 103 W. Ryus Ave, La Veta.  719-742-3700
When:  Friday, July 18, 6-9 pm

Who:  Tom Munch & the Atomic Fireballs
What:  playing for the Westcliffe Stampede rodeo dance
Where:  Westcliffe Rodeo Grounds (north of town)
When:  Saturday, July 19, 9 pm - 1 am

Who:  Tom Munch
What:  playing and singing a concert in the mountains
Where:  The Feed Store Amphitheater, 116 North 2nd Street, Westcliffe.  719-783-2771
When:  Sunday, July 20, 2-5 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment